Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How to keep baby safe from sun while outside with older sibling

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:50 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have a 7 month old and a three year old. We enjoy playing outside throughout the summer (out back with waterplay and at the park). My baby is starting to move around now and I'm unsure how to keep her safe outside. I'm concerned about overheating and sunburn. I use sunscreen on her, but have read that uv clothing is best. However, I'm concerned she'll overheat, especially with long sleeves and pants! I have a uv tent, but she moves out of it. I don't want to give up our outside time and am looking for advice/ideas. Thanks in advance :)

by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs_Incredible
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I would put sunscreen on her, the UV clothing and keep a mister and fan nearby. My son was itty bitty the first summer and he came outside with us. We used coppertone free and clear. 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

use sunscreen and dress her normally do not over dress her. Put a hat on her and enjoy the summer.

bbmkfo03
by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to say you're doing all you can at this point, just add a wide brim hat and you'll be good to go!

MrsRobinson06
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Why does she have to wear long sleeves and pants? Dress her normally and put sunscreen on her. Put a floppy hat to protect her head.

smile357
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:27 PM

To be honest on the really hot and sunny days that the temps are up you should only be outside in the sun for so much time as it is. On the other days put sunscreen and I agree with a little hat to protect the head. Just remember to find baby sunscreen, Just found out there is a difference.(we have a 9 month old granddaughter) not all sunscreens are made for little ones. And remember to recoat every 2 hours. Let them enjoy the fresh air.

Katt709
by Katharine on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
I have kids the same ages and I just dress them normally and use sun screen. And I try to put my 7 month old in the shade as much as he will stay there. I think that's all we can do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jerichos_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I use sunscreen, sunglassee     hats on mine.  Offer water or breast as needed and try to stay ine shade.

LindaClement
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Just stay out of the sun in the hottest part of the day... seek shade (forests for 11-2) and choose long clothing when you're going to be out for the heat.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:31 AM

i agree with the hat!  and the sunscreen!  and depending on how hot it is, i would only stay out there for a few minutes at a time (15minutes-ish)

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM
I agree :)

Quoting bbmkfo03:

I was going to say you're doing all you can at this point, just add a wide brim hat and you'll be good to go!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN