Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Room going around

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM
  • 16 Replies

Over the years I have awakened and the room is going around and round in front of my eyes. I usually close my eyes and in a few minutes is goes away. I always attributed it to "waking up" feelings. Now it has started happening more frequently. Just out of the blue the room will start spinning! I will reading, watching TV whatever. At a physical a few years ago I was told I needed to have "tests" done because of my balance, inability to stand on my tiptoes or heels, my weird walking etc. Those tests cost thousands of dollars and I don't have insurance and can't afford private insurance.My job will go FT when they get more clients and MAYBE I will get company insurance then. But the point is....what could this be?

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaileynMe
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:22 AM
No idea but that sounds miserable!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Have you been checked for inner ear problems? I would hate feeling dizzy! Good luck!

Join us on the Healthy Moms group!

Taniaengel
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Hi there,

You may have Labyrinthitis is an ear disorder that involves irritation and swelling (inflammation) of the inner ear.

There are many causes of labyrinthitis. In rare cases, it occurs after an ear infection (otitis media) or an upper respiratory infection. It may also occur after an allergy, cholesteatoma, or taking certain drugs that are dangerous to the inner ear.

During labyrinthitis, the parts of the inner ear become irritated and inflamed. This interferes with their ability to help you balance and hear.

Symptoms:

Signs and tests

A complete physical and nervous system (neurological) exam should be done. An ear examination may not reveal any problems.

Usually, other tests are not needed to diagnose layrinthitis. Tests will be done to rule out other causes of your symptoms

Hope this help some how

Tania

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Most likely it is a form of Vertigo.  My mother has suffered from this for years.  I have experienced it from time to time due to stress, illness and other conditions (like pregnancy).

It is sometimes caused by medications, sometimes by illness, and sometimes it cannot be explained.  It sounds like you may have an underlying problem and I would really recommend that you have a check-up with a doctor just to rule out anything important.  There are a couple of medications available by prescription that can sometimes help, but many people who suffer from this just have to be aware.  

Taking care to not change positions too suddenly can help keep this from throwing yourself off-balance and causing a fall.  

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM

It sounds like vertigo.  It could be due to several things. Since you also have balance problems,  one that comes to mind is inner ear problems. You need to be checked since this all could be a serious problem.

andrea525
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Maybe Vertigo or something with the inner ear.

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM

This is called vertigo, and it is not that uncommon. There can be a variety of causes, or you might never find the cause for it.  There are several different treatments, as well.

The best route, and the cheapest to start with, would be to see a chiropractor. He can really, really help.  Some chiropractors charge less if you are paying with cash.  You can expect, depending on where you live, for a cash customer to pay between $35 and $45 per appointment.  He may want to see you three times a week for several weeks - but if you are upfront with him, you may be able to make payment arrangements. 

Chiropractic works on the belief that when your spine is slightly out of alignment, it pinches some of the nerves. When the nerves are pinched, it can cause swelling and inflammation throughout your body. If you are "out" up around the shoulder area of your spine, it could be causing swelling in your neck, which could cause problems with your ears, balance, gait, and cause vertigo.  A goot chiropractor will explain to you just what he's going to do and how it can help.  He may recommend using warm ice compresses. He will tell you to stay away from tylenols or other anti-inflammatories while under his care.  They treat the pain, but not the cause of the pain.  And if you take them, you will be more prone to bruising while he's adjusting you.

My mom has vertigo for months at a time, then it goes away.  She sees a chiropractor usually, but twice she has had to go to a "dizzy clinic".  I don't know the whole name for it, and medicare pays for it for her (she's 84). but they work on her neck, twisting and turning it, to adjust the inner ear or something, and it fixes it. 

But your poor balance and the vertigo are definitely related.  This is annoying, and can be debilitating, keepign you from work or driving, but it is not fatal.  Rest easy, don't stress, and find a chiropractor in your area.

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I have seen the doctor but cannot afford the tests that he and some ladies recommended. I am the only one working right now and we are just making the rent and gas for the car. My mom agreed to pay the interent so my DH can look for a job. My work is PT right now and will got FT during the summer. I am looking for another PT job until more clients come on. When I was younger I had swimmers ear a lot during the summer. I still swim but there are drops that you can use to keep the water out and have not had a problem in years. I have fallen several times and ended up with scrapes and bruises except the last time. I broke my ankle and almost tore my MCL at work 4 weeks ago. So I was out of work 2+ weeks for that. Workman's comp paid but that is only 66% of what you normally make. I guess I will have to deal with it for now.

urselbaker
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Do you get headaches sometimes? Eating habits, not having enough of nutrition, heavy minstrel can cause unbalanced, lake of estrogen and low calcium, take a simple blood test. Ooh how about eating alittle red meat or a lot of dry nuts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Sounds like your usual version of vertigo.

One of the best solutions is to overload your balance system... essentially the same thing sailors do...

Open your eyes, and shake your head back and forth as fast as you can, for as long as you can stand it. Your inner ear balance mechanism is currently hypersensitive... you just need to overload it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)