Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm sick of having to repeat myself!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember back in the day where your parents told you to do something once and if it didn't get done and didn't get done right away you got your ass whipped?

I think that my son needs to be disciplined more. I'm sick of having to repeat myself to my son when I tell him to do something that he doesn't want to do.

I can understand if he didn't hear me and then I'd have to repeat myself but it's not something I should have to do constantly, if that's the case then maybe he should be checked for his hearing.

I shouldn't have to tell my son to stop jumping on the couch or bed more than once. It's frustrating.

And then when I tell him not to do it again then his repsonse is: "Oh, I forgot."

really? I told him 10 minutes ago to not jump on the couch and he has the nerve to tell me that he forgets.

It's not just him jumping on the couch it's other things to. I have to constantly remind him to do his chores and not to wear clothes that are to small for him. I have to tell him, repeatedly, to brush his teeth or to go eat his snack before he goes to bed.

It's funny how I never have to remind him or repeat myself to tell him to play his DS game or to eat junk food.

Anyone else have this problem with their children at any age?

I love Vinni and Alex

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Replies (21-27):
vinalex0581
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:57 PM

i wrote down rules for him.

i made him read it to me so i would make sure that he would understand and after he was done reading the rules i asked him if he understood it and if he had any questions. and he said no.

so he understood the rules and what would happen if he broke those rules.

Quoting ceciliam:

Yes! I went through that with my six year old son. I sat him down and told him that he would no longer get a warning, he would just lose privledges.

vinalex0581
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM

so you think that my son might be acting bad because being bad feels good?

Quoting Roo1234:

I accept that this is part of being a parent.  The moment we stop having to remind them of all these things, is the moment that they are adults and ready to care for themselves.

I sincerely believe that most kids aren't willfully naughty, but rather that their passions overwhelm their common sense and knowledge of the rules.  They live very much in the here and now with little awareness of consequences.  They really do momentarily forget the rules when given the opportunity to jump- and soar from the couch cushions.  They seek out those momentary rushes of pleasure, the same way an adult might speed down the highway (even though they too know it is wrong) or smoke a cigarette even though they know it isn't a healthy option.  Being bad feels good.  It is human nature.

I do have to repeat myself with my children (12, 10 and 7), but I also know that those times often happen because I lazily give instructions from across the room rather than walking over and making sure I have their attention before talking about anything of importance.

vinalex0581
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM

yeah.....probably

Quoting erinsmom1964:

You do realize you have caused this and you have the power to change his behavior?  

vinalex0581
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM

i don't believe in empty threats either

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

My son is 4 and I don't repeat myself. He gets told once and he either does it or there is a consequence. Just don't bluff if you say your going to do something follow through the first time. I rarely have to discipline just because he knows I mean business. I'm not a fan of bribing and pleading with children to get them to listen.

vinalex0581
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM

i agree

Quoting alexis_06:

i have never had that problem. thank god!  my daughter is 8 and yaaa there may be the odd time that i have to tell her to go brush her teeth more than once...but i know its just because she's stalling.LOL. every other time she listens the first time..i'm not strict, by any means, but....i do expect her to listen.  its a form of respect, which *I* think is missing in a lot of kids these days.  

LindaClement
by Linda on Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I would suggest the other way 'round... he feels bad so he acts bad.

Quoting vinalex0581:

so you think that my son might be acting bad because being bad feels good?

Quoting Roo1234:

I accept that this is part of being a parent.  The moment we stop having to remind them of all these things, is the moment that they are adults and ready to care for themselves.

I sincerely believe that most kids aren't willfully naughty, but rather that their passions overwhelm their common sense and knowledge of the rules.  They live very much in the here and now with little awareness of consequences.  They really do momentarily forget the rules when given the opportunity to jump- and soar from the couch cushions.  They seek out those momentary rushes of pleasure, the same way an adult might speed down the highway (even though they too know it is wrong) or smoke a cigarette even though they know it isn't a healthy option.  Being bad feels good.  It is human nature.

I do have to repeat myself with my children (12, 10 and 7), but I also know that those times often happen because I lazily give instructions from across the room rather than walking over and making sure I have their attention before talking about anything of importance.

lazyd
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Not to use it as an excuse but my son has ADHD/ODD & i have to repeat myself multiple times for anything and everything i ask him to do!  Im constantly "yelling" at him, according to him.  He ask me to ask him to do somethin nicely, well i do, the first 2 or 3 times, than i get upset and start yelling than he starts yelling and whining at me!  It is hard for him to concentrate and it is difficult for him to process more than one or two "steps" at a time.  You need to make sure that he is done with one thing before you even attempt to ask him to do somethin else.  A lot of the times i even have to stand next to him to make sure somethin gets done, or it wont cuz he gets distracted very easily!  It doesnt even matter to my son how i "discipline" him for not doin somethin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured