Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

mommas who track their finances

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM
  • 14 Replies
Ok so df and I decided to set up a budget. Well I decided to get on our bank account and write down everything from the past 2 months just to get an idea of how much we'be been spending in each category, i guess. Well I figured everything up and between income, expenses and what's.in the bank there's 120 missing. I think tomorrow when I'm more awake Ill go over everything again thoroughly just to make sure I didn't mess up.

Have you ever had that happen? I'm sure its a simple mistake on my part since I am getting sleepy. I just wanted an idea so when I wake up I can figure what to budget.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilDzMamma2010
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Couldn't be a miss calculation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I would just track every item, step by step.  If you want some great advice about having and living by a budget, check out Dave Ramsey.

tennisgal
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I match my bank account statement with my register every month, item for item, but sometimes items get forgotten about throughout the month. If we take out cash once a week instead of multiple transactions, it's easier to track. 

Are you sure that the $120 isn't missing from a previous month?? Also, it's likely in multiple transactions rather than one large. 

nessac1987
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM
No need to look at what you've spent in the past.. just write down you "must" expenses and how much next to it.. I usually write the due date on the calender and split up my bills in two so that I know what to pay with each check.. then once I know an estimate of how much is left from my paycheck I put some money to my savings and I tell myself that's a bill so that I know not to count on that money (unless I really am tight than I don't).. this way my bills are always paid way before they are due and I always have savings money unlike my parents :-! good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jeni1124
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I did this time and time again during my marriage. Hundreds of dollars would be missing every month. Found out later it was going towards drugs.

marisab
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 2:31 AM
1 mom liked this

i agree i just completed financial peace university and i highly recommend this1!

Quoting TigerofMu:

I would just track every item, step by step.  If you want some great advice about having and living by a budget, check out Dave Ramsey.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Yes.  It's a great program!  You can check his website to see if there's a church or community organization offering one near you.  You can also buy the program online.  Not only is he wise with great advice, he's entertaining too!

http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/classfinder/

Quoting marisab:

i agree i just completed financial peace university and i highly recommend this1!

Quoting TigerofMu:

LindaClement
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM

It might be just rounding up inaccurately?

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Our output has exceeded input before, but the way the bill dates run it just works.

Try your numbers again. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lj.smommy
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I would have definitely preferred that and was actually expecting it. I did try it again and I was just missing a few things. It was weird though because the best way i can explain what happened was let's say there's 50 in the bank and you use 10 on candy and when you check the acount there's 30. There's 10 missing that's not accounted for. I was flipping out, I eventually said screw it and went to bed then spent all of the next day figuring everything up.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Our output has exceeded input before, but the way the bill dates run it just works.

Try your numbers again. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN