Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Daughter biting

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM
  • 11 Replies
My one and a half year old daughter won't stop biting. I nanny for two little girls and bring my Own daughter with me and she bites them almost everyday. It happens so fast that I can't always get there quick enough to stop it. It never really leaves a mark bc I am there to break it up. They are the same age and the girl I babysit for never bites my daughter. She has even started to bite myself and her father. Sometimes hits too nit hard almost like a tap. It usually happens when she wants something she can not have and I can tell she is frustrated but still obviously it is not ok. I try putting her on time out but it's like she finds it funny. We do not make it into a joke and talk firmly to her but it seems to not phase her at all. Any suggestions on how to get her to stop? Thanks!
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

My daughter was a biter too.  She now bites on her 'Gerri' (a blanket with giraffe head).  She's 3.5yr and stopped biting around 2.5yr.  It was AWFUL!  I babysit in my home and she left a bruise on one child and I felt so terrible about it.  I tried everything.............popping her hiney, flicking her cheek, doing a stern "NO", telling her why its wrong, sending her to corner, not playing, taking things away, etc.  You name it, we tried it!  Nothing worked!!!  That was just how she expressed herself at that point in time.  She even gets frustrated now and will go bite her Gerri.  So maybe keep explaining how it hurts and we don't do that to friends.  Make her apologize.  And maybe redirect her to something else to take her anger or frustrations out on.  It will eventually stop.  Its a rough stage tho.  If you can see what triggers it then maybe you can stop it before it happens (yes, that is hard but can be done).  Good luck and God bless..........

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Tell her NO and remove her from the child. Keep repeating this process, if you can catch her before she does it EVEN BETTER! 

msswisher08
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I just punished my son everytime he did. He was a very bad bitter to the point he sometimes made people bleed. I would sit him in the cornor and no toys. Then I would talk to him afterward. This went on for about 1/2mths then he stopped. However in that time he did it secretly so it wasn't that often. I also know some people and even some doctors that have had to bite there kids back not hard but just enough to teach them it hurts. G/L and I hope the butting stops soon for you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimeegreen4ever
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM
My son is in Physcial therapy and his therapist says to put two fingers over his lips and out light pressure and say no. she said the light pressure for 2 reasons, 1 the child could be teething and looking for oral pressure that biting would provide and 2 they will know that when you say no your referring to what he did with his mouth. My son is a sensory seeker so this works for him pretty well. He was biting so much they were thinking of kicking him out of the church nursery because he was biting all the kids and there was only 2 people and a bunch of kids so they couldn't keep up with his biting... It might be worth a try...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Incredible
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Tell her NO and remove her from the child. Keep repeating this process, if you can catch her before she does it EVEN BETTER! 

This. Also hitting her accomplishes nothing other than teaching her hitting is acceptable. Redirection, time out. Consistency is key. And yes, I had a biter. 

bbmkfo03
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

This. Also hitting her accomplishes nothing other than teaching her hitting is acceptable. Redirection, time out. Consistency is key. And yes, I had a biter. 

I agree with both responses. My DD bit too at that age.

LoreleiSieja
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM

The first person who responded "that's how she expressed herself" hit the nail on the head.  Young children can have very strong emotions, but they lack the skills and knowledge of how to deal with them.  So you need to help her identify her emotions, and learn better ways to express herself.  Still, she is a little young for this.  Biting is very normal for 18 months, but becomes a real problem when the child is three and still doing it.

For the toddler, you redirect.  You watch them all the time, as you are a babysitter, and you catch her just before she bites, and redirect her to something else.  She may be biting because another child has a toy she wants... so you redirect her to another activity.  Time outs do NOT WORK for children younger than three.  They simply lack the understanding of cause and effect.  If they bite, and you put them in time out, they only know that you are mad at them.  They do NOT realize that you are mad at them because they bit someone.  They just can't grasp that concept!

Toddlers and preschoolers will also bite to get attention.  If this is the case, IGNORE the biter, and focus all your attention on the bitten one.  Rub her sore spot, hug her, kiss her, sooth her.  The biter will not receive any attention at all, and will learn another way to gain the attention he desires.

Sometimes children bite because they are cutting molars, and biting feels good.  Offer her hard teething biscuits, or firm foods she can work her teeth around.  Be careful of choking hazards.  Some toys look wonderful to bite.  Those soft foam blocks that are marketed as bath toys - I've never seen a set that didn't have teeth marks in them.  They just look so yummy that even five-year-olds will still bite them.  I don't recommend them at all, for this reason.

If your child bites YOU, you can scream in pain.  Be loud. Try to work up a real tear. Over-exaggerate, so your child can understand that it really does hurt.  If you are good in your acting, your child will cry as well.

Teach your child - although she is young now, you can begin - about her emotions.  When she looks angry, tell her the work.  "You are angry.  I can see that you are angry."  Help her to understand what it means to be angry. When she is not angry, show her an angry face and have her imitate it, and learn the word angry.  Tell her about things that make you angry, and ask her what makes her angry.  Tell her that when you get angry, you sometimes with you could bite someone... but you know it is better to do_____.  What do you do when you are angry?  Many of us stuff our emotions, which isn't health, can cause anxiety and illness.  We can go for a walk, a bike ride, or pound nails into a block of wood, or punch a pillow... or sing a song at the top of our lungs... but biting someone or ignoring our emotions are NOT good ways to deal with anger.

Teach your little one all about all her emotions: fear, anger, joy, lonely, sad, happy, bored... and more.  Help her learn to express herself, and she will be a happier, healthier child.

LindaClement
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Gently press your finger on her forehead upwards and backwards... you can stop a 300 pound linebacker from biting someone the same way.

You can't supervise an 18mo baby from a distance.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM
My youngest was a biter- only to the girl we sat. I redirected and it eventually passed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortiesmom24
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Oh i feel for you sorry i have no advice for you on this subject but had to feel i had to write and say i wish you the best of luck! And hope you get this problem solved! SOON!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)