Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bizarre Question - Please take the time to read and bump if you have no input.

About two years ago, we decided to try a vegetarian lifestyle to introduce more fruits and veggies to our kids. Last summer I was diagnosed with a condition that causes excess iron levels, so I wasn't getting enough protein in my diet (beans are high in iron and one of the best ways for a vegetarian to get protein - I'm allergic to nuts). Anyways, after that we became flexitarian. We eat mostly fruits and veggies, but get our protein from chicken and fish as well. Here's my bizarre question... the day after I cook chicken, the leftovers smell kind of like... dog food? I guess? Like they taste way more like just plain chicken than whatever it was seasoned with and I can barely take two or three bites without gagging. This wasn't a problem I had before we made the switch, but my body was used to not eating it for a year and I guess I just really don't like it. I like FRESHLY cooked chicken (hence I reheat and reseason by way of oven), but does anyone else experience this? I know it's weird, but seriously, I can't be the only one. DH looks at me like I'm an alien when I try to describe the sensation.

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Replies (21-23):
vreed0608
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM
My DD is funny about eating leftover meat and we're not vegetarians. She doesn't like the rate of it. I have found the best way to reheat meat is in an oven. Otherwise I just cook enough for one meal and prep the rest, leading in the fridge to cook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Orbie1985
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Try buying organic.  I had that after I ate organic chicken and then the regular chicken. The regular chicken had a really funky taste.

supermom2xlb
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)