Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

how can i stop!?

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM
  • 18 Replies
I'm going to set up an appointment with my doc today. It just depends on when I can get in to see her. For the past two years everytime I start to get anxious I bite/chew on the sides of my fingers. It gets to the point I bleed and I can't stop myself. If I try I spiral into an anxiety attack so bad I end up throwing up or passing out. I'm sick of living like this.

What will my doc do for me? I'm super nervous and yep I'm biting again. Fml
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaileynMe
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Maybe prescribe you anti anxiety meds. My mil has them; she only takes one when needed.

Have you considered some therapy? Counseling might do more for you than meds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cara124
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I agree meds or therapy might be the answer ...

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM

It is a good idea to talk this over with your doctor. They will know how to handle it.

bbmkfo03
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I think your doc might try to give you some meds but you'd be better off seeing a counselor. Most PCP's or family docs aren't all that familiar with all the different types of anxiety meds. Hope you start to feel better soon, glad you're getting help too.

kaygarcia97
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Well I would get a referal to behavior health. That's how they work but I hate therapy I hate people staring at me, asking me how I feel. That makes me nervous too

Quoting bbmkfo03:

I think your doc might try to give you some meds but you'd be better off seeing a counselor. Most PCP's or family docs aren't all that familiar with all the different types of anxiety meds. Hope you start to feel better soon, glad you're getting help too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM

That is actually a very normal response to therapy! Let that be known from day 1 that just being there makes you anxious.

Quoting kaygarcia97:

Well I would get a referal to behavior health. That's how they work but I hate therapy I hate people staring at me, asking me how I feel. That makes me nervous too

Quoting bbmkfo03:

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM
I hope your doctor can help you out, anxiety sucks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhDMom2011
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I did that a few years back and my doc put me on Xanax for my nerves. She said that I was overstressed and the anxiety attacks were my nervous system's way of asking for help. I took the medicine for a few months and made some lifestyle changes at home and work and have been fine since.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I would suggest a 3 prong approach. Talk to your dr who will probably prescribe you meds, go to a therapist and do 3+ days of cardio a week. 

That's what I did and it has made a night and day difference in my life. 

kaygarcia97
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM
I already excercise, however, lately my heart has been acting up my cardio doc told me to stop doing so much.

Quoting Firewoman33:

I would suggest a 3 prong approach. Talk to your dr who will probably prescribe you meds, go to a therapist and do 3+ days of cardio a week. 

That's what I did and it has made a night and day difference in my life. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)