Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Has anyone had to have their child's ear tube surgically removed?

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son had an ear tube inserted into both ears in 2008. I just had to have one removed because it didn't fall out and I am worrying that the hole will not close on it's own because it has been 4 years. Does anyone out there have similar experience with this? Did the hold close over on its own? I am so afraid he might need more surgery one day. Please help.

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Not really surgically, but the surgeon reached a tool in and pulled it out. There wasn't a problem with it closing, but I did stick that ear putty in his ear until the next vist whenever he bathed or swam.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I googled and one article said if needed a patch of tissue would be put over the hole. one article said that the child was't allowed to swim for a month. It may depend on your doctor and situation.

theyaremyheart
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Thanks for the responses. If the doctor reached a tool in, it was probably in ear wax like the one my son had. When it is still in the drum, it is very painful to remove and then need to put a child under for that. I know they packed it with something but have read that sometimes if the tube is in a long time (more than 2 years), the opening doesn't close on it's own. I just don't want for him to need more surgery on this ear. Thanks so much.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM

You'd probably be best to ask your doctor about all of this so he/she can address your concerns. That way you'll know for sure what's supposed to happen and whether there's anything to worry about as far as future surgery goes. :)

mamakenzi
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Quoting bamababe1975:

You'd probably be best to ask your doctor about all of this so he/she can address your concerns. That way you'll know for sure what's supposed to happen and whether there's anything to worry about as far as future surgery goes. :)

Kenzi

I'm just me, love it or hate it, ask me if I care...whatev!

http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN