Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My toddler drinks really fast, to the point where it makes him choke and gag.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM
  • 27 Replies

He has done this for awhile, and everyone thought I was being dramatic and also my DH they didn't take us serious, no one does until they see it the doctors only thought was diabetes we got him tested and nothing... When I say my son drinks fast I mean the whole sippy cup is done within seconds it could be water, juice, milk(the only things he has) He gets juice with breakfast and lunch and milk at nap time and water through out the day... He downs it! I don't know if I would time it it would probably be seconds... My DD only takes sips at a

This is his usual sippy cup

and this is the one I want to put him on I will explain why below...

1. I feel like its a smaller amount so he can eventually get over throwing a tantrum on how little he's getting and he will learn to control it?
2. He can see how much he has left?
3. Since its the starter sippy cup for when you first introduce juice I'm hoping its a slower flow so he will have a harder time getting it out...

I really don't know. =/ I've tried everything to try and calm him down but nothing works...
Any ideas?

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM
My son does the same thing when he's thirsty. He can down chocolate milk within a couple minutes, juice/tea is nothing... always been like that. I just tell him to slow down
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I think a slower flow is a good idea.

Also, I would think about introducing a regular cup.  If that's him in your avatar, then he's probably old enough for you to sit him down at the table (or wherever he eats) and tell him you're going to give him a (whatever you call it, regular cup, big boy cup, etc) and explain that he needs to be careful so he doesn't (whatever here: get sick, make a mess, whatever you think he's going to care about being careful of).  Then give him half or less of a plastic anything that only holds a little fluid (I started my kids on less than half of a 6 oz yogurt cup or half of a 1/2 cup rubbermaid container; anything that was small enough for them to hold and held little enough it wasn't going to make a huge mess and not make 2 oz-ish look like a drop).  Hope that helps. :-)

auburnmamma1
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

what I have seen used is a juice called thicket it comes in different flavors and is thicker. My son used to choke when he would drink and its what the doctor recomended for me. He had to slow down to drink it due to the thickness, and it kept him from choking. It was just a phase (lasted a few years) that my son went through, no medical problems, although the choking was scary. Hope this helps!

3LittleMonstrs
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM
You can also buy just the thicket powder to put in any kind of fluid. But I don't know how well it would work in a sippy cup.

Quoting auburnmamma1:

what I have seen used is a juice called thicket it comes in different flavors and is thicker. My son used to choke when he would drink and its what the doctor recomended for me. He had to slow down to drink it due to the thickness, and it kept him from choking. It was just a phase (lasted a few years) that my son went through, no medical problems, although the choking was scary. Hope this helps!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Why not fill the original with less at a time?

Does he have access to a full one most of the time, or are there times or places where he has to be, or can't be? This sounds a bit like the natural side effect of restricting access to things he needs...

'When you first introduce juice'??? Juice is the same as pop, nutritionally, and shouldn't ever be given to small children undiluted.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Fill it less and since it is summer time try a regular cup with a straw for him to drink.  Definitely push whole fruits rather than juice.  We do fruitables for dd at school since those are slightly healthier than other juices.

sreichelt26
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I think a slow flow is a good idea too. Downing liquid in itself isn't bad if he's just really thirsty, but since it's making him choke, it's definitely something you'd have to try to control.

What if you got him a straw cup? That way he has to work a little more. These are the ones the girls I nannied for used (you can close them so they don't spill):

It's Munchkin brand - I got them at Target, but I've seen them at BRU too

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:42 AM

So howold ishe?  Should he still be on the bottle?  If he i over 2 then he should be on a sippy cup.  No problem with the size of the cup for him.  Could be that the holes in the other sippy is too bi and the milk comes out much too fast.  He could have a smaller amount and then get more when he wants more.  I wonder if the old cup leaks around the bottom or the holes in the  sippy part is too large?  Might mix him some porridge in there with rice cereal or whatever cereal he liikes and that will thicken it up so it will come out slowr.  Don't want to cut off all the fluid though.  Just get him a better sipper.  If he is under a year, he still needs to be able to have the bottle.  It takes time to build up the nutrition he needs  that he gets from his milk now.  Be patient.

JJSMOMMYxox
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Because I want him to see how much he has left and learn to control it. I don't restrict him to what he needs, he gets water whenever he wants to drink. Juice he only gets twice a day and milk twice or once a day depending on whether he wants it with bed time/nap time or both. His juice IS diluted more then half the cup is water and its topped off with a little bit of juice it actually takes us forver to go through juice so I usually end up dumping it. He was introduced to juice after his birthday when bottles were taking away.

Quoting LindaClement:

Why not fill the original with less at a time?

Does he have access to a full one most of the time, or are there times or places where he has to be, or can't be? This sounds a bit like the natural side effect of restricting access to things he needs...

'When you first introduce juice'??? Juice is the same as pop, nutritionally, and shouldn't ever be given to small children undiluted.

JJSMOMMYxox
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:52 AM

He has straw ones and those go faster and then he freaks out becasue there all done. He only gets juice twice a day? and I fill the sippy cup with more water then juice. He gets actual Fruits during Breakfast and lunch and then Vegatables during lunch and Dinner. He doesn't get juice at dinner only water.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Fill it less and since it is summer time try a regular cup with a straw for him to drink.  Definitely push whole fruits rather than juice.  We do fruitables for dd at school since those are slightly healthier than other juices.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)