Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

proper etiquette for staying in a hotel

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:21 AM
  • 65 Replies

so i'm going to be staying in a hotel for 4 days, 3 nights, not an expensive hotel, but its also not a sleezy cheap motel..lol..(i think its called the "howard johnson")i have never stayed in one before, so i dont know what to expect....do they come and clean the room, change beds, change towels, clean bathroom/kitchen etc. every day?? or just once i leave after my 4 days? are they gonna go in there when i'm not there?  do i need to be concerened about leaving my laptop in the room while i'm away? do i have to tip them?  29 yrs old, and never stayed in a hotel..LOL, kinda pathetic!  :)

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrier
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:29 AM
Lol nolt pathetic. It depends on their policy on what they do. They will come in every day and refresh your towls and soaps. And make your bed. What I did with my lap top is I would put it in the safe if they have one that will fit. Or it would stay at bottem of my bag of clothes. And on google the tipping thing. I always leave that up to hubby. Have fun on your trip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:43 AM
Yes, they will go in there when you aren't. Most hotels won't allow the maids to clean when the guest is in there and they clean daily. The best thing I can tell you is try to keep what you have consolidated to one area when possible. When I was cleaning hotel rooms we were not allowed to touch the guest's belongings so when you had a room where they had everything all over the place it was difficult to clean the room properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:46 AM
1 mom liked this
You can keep a 'do not disturb' sign on your door anytime you don't want them in your room.

Most places now have cards to put on your bed so they know not to replace the shhets when they make it. (conservation)

Anything on the floor like towels is considered dirty and replaced, and tip when you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prettymama0709
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM

this and my friend is here and she says it woukd be nice if you didnt leave your trash all over the place and wet towels in a tub full of water she works in a hotel and things like this happen all the time so im not saying you would do it 

Quoting Cpdsptchgrl:

Yes, they will go in there when you aren't. Most hotels won't allow the maids to clean when the guest is in there and they clean daily. The best thing I can tell you is try to keep what you have consolidated to one area when possible. When I was cleaning hotel rooms we were not allowed to touch the guest's belongings so when you had a room where they had everything all over the place it was difficult to clean the room properly.

Cara5
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Tipping is not optional.  Just like going out to eat, you have to factor the tip into the total price.   I think at least 10% of the room cost is a good tip.  If its a $50 room leave 5 bucks, if its a %150 room, leave $15. 

I leave a housekeeping tip each day, because the same person who has cleaned your room all week might not be the person who cleans it when you leave and I like to tip the people who actually do the work.   (Plus, ive found that tipping daily means that my room and my stuff is taken much better care of for the rest of my stay.) 

If I am staying for more than a night, or possibly two, I unpack into one or more of the drawers, and then when I leave the room (assuming there is no safe, or my stuff doesn't fit) I put my laptop and whatever else in a sweater or a jacket and stick it in my suitcase, which gets shoved into the top of the closet.   I have rarely (possibly never?) felt like my stuff was in danger of being stolen by housekeeping, but leaving stuff laying out seems to be asking for trouble. 

Im usually staying in hotels with a bunch of kids, so I try to consolidate the mess as much as possible.   If someone had an accident I strip the beds, we pile all of the dirty towels in once place, pick all of our personal items up before we leave for the day etc... 

So whats the occasion to bring you to a hotel for the first time in almost 30 years? 

HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM
They won't change the sheets unless you ask. I'd also tell them you have allergies and to please put clean sheets on the bed before you arrive, even if the sheets are clean it's unlikely the comforter is. They should change the towels (leave them on the ground and they will). They usually don't clean the kitchen. Your lap top should be safe. If you don't want them there while you're away leave the do not disturb sign on the door or tell the desk clerk you don't want service that day. You should tip, just leave a couple bucks on the table or counter when you check out.
(I worked front desk at a hotel for a couple years)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Oh, if you leave your suitcase on the bad they (often) wont make the bed. They're not supposed to touch your personal items
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Most hotels will change the sheets daily unless you specifically ask them not to

Quoting HIJKLM:

They won't change the sheets unless you ask. I'd also tell them you have allergies and to please put clean sheets on the bed before you arrive, even if the sheets are clean it's unlikely the comforter is. They should change the towels (leave them on the ground and they will). They usually don't clean the kitchen. Your lap top should be safe. If you don't want them there while you're away leave the do not disturb sign on the door or tell the desk clerk you don't want service that day. You should tip, just leave a couple bucks on the table or counter when you check out.

(I worked front desk at a hotel for a couple years)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Yes on the tipping! Most hotel maids are paid like waitresses. Most get less than minimum wage because the tips are figured in. Many people don't realize that.

Quoting Cara5:

Tipping is not optional.  Just like going out to eat, you have to factor the tip into the total price.   I think at least 10% of the room cost is a good tip.  If its a $50 room leave 5 bucks, if its a %150 room, leave $15. 

I leave a housekeeping tip each day, because the same person who has cleaned your room all week might not be the person who cleans it when you leave and I like to tip the people who actually do the work.   (Plus, ive found that tipping daily means that my room and my stuff is taken much better care of for the rest of my stay.) 

If I am staying for more than a night, or possibly two, I unpack into one or more of the drawers, and then when I leave the room (assuming there is no safe, or my stuff doesn't fit) I put my laptop and whatever else in a sweater or a jacket and stick it in my suitcase, which gets shoved into the top of the closet.   I have rarely (possibly never?) felt like my stuff was in danger of being stolen by housekeeping, but leaving stuff laying out seems to be asking for trouble. 

Im usually staying in hotels with a bunch of kids, so I try to consolidate the mess as much as possible.   If someone had an accident I strip the beds, we pile all of the dirty towels in once place, pick all of our personal items up before we leave for the day etc... 

So whats the occasion to bring you to a hotel for the first time in almost 30 years? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katt709
by Katharine on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
They will come and clean the room daily unless you ask then not to. I always leave my laptop at the bottom of my suitcase or in the safe - all other valuables too. Tipping isn't requires but I'm sure it would be appreciated. I only leave tips if we're exceptionally needy and they work harder. Like when I used to go in spring break (back in the day!). We'd leave tips for that bc we had a lot of people in one room and we were messy! I don't usually tip otherwise though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN