Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

am i wrong to feel this way

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM
  • 11 Replies
When i was around 2 my aunt got custody of me and my brother, we were physically abused all the time til i was 11 and moved back in with my parents. My cousin told my mom how bad it was that my aunt would pick up anything around to hit us with and today my mom told me it could've been worse and i can choose not to be a victim and i need to get control and discipline my kids. I do discipline just not how they think i should i don't spank. Is it wrong for me to think that she should have some kind of sympathy or understanding or just something other than it could've been worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atherianos
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM
That's a bull shit answer! Don't take any advice from them, u parent how u want to. Sorry u had to deal with this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM
It's not exactly wrong for you to feel that way, but it's probably a waste of your time. Wishing that people felt differently usually is. Parent the way you see fit and try to accept that you're probably not going to get the response you want from your mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mel0dy
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I am sorry that happened to you. she needs to respect the way you parent your children and she also needs to understand and respect that you are not going to parent your children the same way she did.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM

You do not have to spank (I did some) but you do need to discipline your kids and not let them run over you because of what you felt as a kid.  If you don't discipline your kids in some way you would do them a disservice. 

mamakenzi
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:47 PM
This

Quoting BaileynMe:

It's not exactly wrong for you to feel that way, but it's probably a waste of your time. Wishing that people felt differently usually is. Parent the way you see fit and try to accept that you're probably not going to get the response you want from your mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:47 PM
And this too

Quoting atlmom2:

You do not have to spank (I did some) but you do need to discipline your kids and not let them run over you because of what you felt as a kid.  If you don't discipline your kids in some way you would do them a disservice. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I can sorta see both sides. It's horrible what happened to you, and you have a right not to spank your children.. I kinda agree with your mom and that you shouldn't play the victim. I mean technically you were the victim, but don't use it as an excuse for the rest of your life. Don't let it define you. Let the wonderful things in your life and your accomplishments speak for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I agree, parent how you see fit.

elle3615
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM
I don't play the victim i don't even talk about it. My cousin brought it up recently because he had to stop my aunt from spanking a kid she babysits. My mom brought it up because my aunt was told she messed up our lives and my mom feels sorry for her. I guess that's what bothering me it she doesn't think anything was wrong with what happened.

Quoting victoriaherring:

I can sorta see both sides. It's horrible what happened to you, and you have a right not to spank your children.. I kinda agree with your mom and that you shouldn't play the victim. I mean technically you were the victim, but don't use it as an excuse for the rest of your life. Don't let it define you. Let the wonderful things in your life and your accomplishments speak for you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidenmomplus4
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

You should be able to expect sympathy and understanding from you mother but it doesn't seem that she is equipped to do so ( maybe emotionally), I would discipline your children how you see fit and what works for you and them. I'm sorry to say this but your mother didn't become a mom to you until you were 11, so the only opinion that matters here is yours and your partner if you have one. I'm sorry to hear that you were physically abused like that as a child and I fully understand not wanting to put your children thru something like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN