Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

ATTN: cloth diapering mama's

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM
  • 11 Replies

DS has been having a problem with night time diapers. he always wakes up soaked from head to toe! he's in a size 5 pampers. we tried to go up a size and they are waaaaay to big for him and everything squishes out the sides (gross). He's allergic to Huggies. so he's always been in pampers. and rarely had a problem until about March? we even tried the "extra protection" diapers.

so I've been checking out cloth diapers. one or 2 to see if it helps or not. I've searched at meijer's (they have some) but it's $20 for 2 inserts and 1 cover thingy.

I have the "prefold" ones that come in those BIG packs. I used them as burp clothes when he was smaller. if I bought the pin's would it work the same thing as the cover thingy and insert or? Idk lol

if I need the cover/insert, where can I buy one or two for little to nothing? I don't want to shell out $40 and the same thing happen because we only have $40 to our name until DH gets paid again next week.

what can ya tell me ladies? I'm at a loss and I'm REALLY getting tired of having to change him at 8am in the morning, find new clothes, bathe him and then bathe him again before bed and rinse and repeat. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Get some econobums. Those cheap burp cloths you bought at the store are probably gerber prefolds. They don't make good diapers and should still need a cover.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM
And you don't use pins in diapers. You get Snappis :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Try your local Freecycle. I got lots of prefolds and covers through there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommasbabies77
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM
yup but I don't know about brands. I'm thinking of going with antsy pants with my special needs son but anyway bump. You still need a cover...have you tried doubling your disposables at night momma? We do that with Matthew..helps

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

Get some econobums. Those cheap burp cloths you bought at the store are probably gerber prefolds. They don't make good diapers and should still need a cover.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 cover 3 prefolds for $12
You can just fold the prefolds under the cover. No need to use a snappi or anything.
http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=138&products_id=2532
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommasbabies77
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM
I didn't like snappis at all.

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

And you don't use pins in diapers. You get Snappis :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM

BUMP!

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Join Cuties with cloth booties!!

LindaClement
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

There is a roaring trade in used cloth diapers and supplies online. Check our your local Craigslist or Freecycle... lots of people want them to go away, but not to landfill, and will give away thousands of dollars worth to anyone who can use them.

LoreleiSieja
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Are you putting him to bed with a bottle? If so, then stop.  This is what is causing him to be so soaked, and going to sleep with a bottle is bad for the teeth.  Your dentist will probably tell you this, too.  Whether it is juice or milk, once he falls asleep, there is still a swallow of liquid in his mouth, which then sits on the tooth enamel for hours.  The sugars can attack the tooth enamal and cause decay, plaque, etc.  Also, you shouldn't put a baby to bed with a bottle, because it makes it darn hard to break the bottle habbit. 

What Time does he go to bed/ What time does he get up in the am?  What about going in fifteen to twenty minutes earlier in the am, and trying to change him before he soaks through?

We used only cloth diapers, and found them to work great, were very affordable, and I seldom had to change the sheets and bathe a baby twice a day like you are describing.  I never tried to use a cloth insert inside a paper diaper.  I don't think it will work, because cloth is bulky and the paper diapers are made to fit so snug. 

If you chose to try cloth only at night, you can buy five pre-fold diapers from Walmart for $12.00, or ten flat (thin, unfolded) diapers for $12.50.  You will need to buy at least two packs of either.  If using the prefolds (recommended), you will probably need to put three diapers on him at night.  If he soaks through, then put four on.  You'll want to buy a package of large, diaper safety pins to hold the diapers on, and a packet of vynil pants to put on over the cloth diaper.  The nynil diaper covers don't hold up well in the dryer. You can machine wash them, but then hang them on a clothes line or towel bar to air-dry.  The prefold diapers can wash and dry just fine.

This should work for you.  It has worked for many generations.

This "new" fad of buying shaped cloth diapers with vecro or snaps is just another way to make a product more expensive.  These fancy diapers can cost $15 a piece!  And your child would go through about six to ten of them a day!  Plus, your child outgrows them regularly, so you have to buy more!  I bought four packages of birdseye prefolded diapers, and they lasted for all four of my children, and were still  usable to pass down to the next baby.

Lorelei

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN