Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bullying and Strangers

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:39 PM
  • 11 Replies

Can anyone recommend a documentary or video of some kind that is appropriate for a six year old on the subjects of bullying and not talking to strangers or going anywhere with a stranger for any reason?

I have talked to my daughter about all this stuff on several occasions but it's not getting through. She has taken on a bit of a bullying attitude towards certain people and her friendliness (for lack of a better word) worries me. No matter how many times I have talked to her about it, I fear honestly, that if a stranger were to have a dog, candy or whatever that she would just go.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
That is hard. Teaching a child to play nice with strangers but don't talk to them. My favorite is the barenstein bears stranger danger book. My daughter is 4.5 and knows to ask before talking to a stranger because they might be a bad apple. But that she can be friendly if mommy says it is okay. I am hoping that the older she gets she will be able to understand when not to talk to strangers and when it is okay to be friendly (like when checking out at the store, being friendly to the clerk, but not talking to strangers outside.) It is a very hard subject, and a never ending lesson.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jurnee14
by Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Quoting Mommy2justone:

That is hard. Teaching a child to play nice with strangers but don't talk to them. My favorite is the barenstein bears stranger danger book. My daughter is 4.5 and knows to ask before talking to a stranger because they might be a bad apple. But that she can be friendly if mommy says it is okay. I am hoping that the older she gets she will be able to understand when not to talk to strangers and when it is okay to be friendly (like when checking out at the store, being friendly to the clerk, but not talking to strangers outside.) It is a very hard subject, and a never ending lesson.

I was going to suggest the same book! It worked really well for my over friendly son, and didnt scare my already shy daughter. They are both ggron now, and my daughter will tell my grandsons, hope we dont metet any bad apples today. 

LindaClement
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Take a look at the research, it's really clear: there is nothing you can 'tell' a child under about 13 that will actually 'stick'.

Streetproofing does not work. Kids need supervision, period.

DaisyHH
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Of course they need supervision...that's a given! But I work full-time, I can't sit outside the school during recess and I can't control what happens when she is at daycare.

I am just asking if there is anything out there that is reasonable for a 6 year old to watch that might help. Nothing wrong with trying to educate as much as I can.

Quoting LindaClement:

Take a look at the research, it's really clear: there is nothing you can 'tell' a child under about 13 that will actually 'stick'.

LindaClement
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM

My point was that the grossly-inadequate level of supervision on the school grounds cannot be overcome by videos, lectures, practice sessions or books.

You can control who is caring for her (and how many children they're expected to monitor at a time) at daycare, and at school. Supervision levels vary dramatically from facility to facility.

Quoting DaisyHH:

Of course they need supervision...that's a given! But I work full-time, I can't sit outside the school during recess and I can't control what happens when she is at daycare.

I am just asking if there is anything out there that is reasonable for a 6 year old to watch that might help. Nothing wrong with trying to educate as much as I can.

Quoting LindaClement:

DaisyHH
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I understand that the lack of supervision cannot be replaced by these things but I feel like I should try as best as I can. Even if just a piece of it sticks with her, it would be worth.

Our daycare is very good. Not too many kids and she is great with them, I trust her with my kids but I am an extremly paranoid parent lol

My daughter is way overly friendly. Dispite all the times I have talked to her about not talking to strangers...blah, blah...I feel in my heart that she is the type of kid who would go with a stranger to "see their dog", or "get some candy". It freaks me out.

Quoting LindaClement:

My point was that the grossly-inadequate level of supervision on the school grounds cannot be overcome by videos, lectures, practice sessions or books.

You can control who is caring for her (and how many children they're expected to monitor at a time) at daycare, and at school. Supervision levels vary dramatically from facility to facility.

Quoting DaisyHH:

Quoting LindaClement:

LindaClement
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM

It sounds like your fears are completely realisitic. It means she needs to be closely supervised. There isn't anything that will 'stick' with a child this young.

Quoting DaisyHH:

I understand that the lack of supervision cannot be replaced by these things but I feel like I should try as best as I can. Even if just a piece of it sticks with her, it would be worth.

Our daycare is very good. Not too many kids and she is great with them, I trust her with my kids but I am an extremly paranoid parent lol

My daughter is way overly friendly. Dispite all the times I have talked to her about not talking to strangers...blah, blah...I feel in my heart that she is the type of kid who would go with a stranger to "see their dog", or "get some candy". It freaks me out.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting DaisyHH:

Quoting LindaClement:

DaisyHH
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

She is far too trusting and it freaks me out. My biggest fear is the fact that I am not around 24/7 to supervise her. I have mentioned to other people my fears but most of them just tell me I am paranoid.  My mom and her dad are the only two who share in my fears...likely cause we are the three that know her best.

Quoting LindaClement:

It sounds like your fears are completely realisitic. It means she needs to be closely supervised. There isn't anything that will 'stick' with a child this young.

Quoting DaisyHH:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting DaisyHH:

Quoting LindaClement:

LindaClement
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I'm going to stick with 'completely realistic'... If you feel you cannot adequately impress upon her other caretakers that she is at this risk, you need to find someone who will take your knowledge of her seriously.

This is a tragic story, that ended terribly, when some parents relied on 'other people' to make sure their outgoing, trusting daughter would be 'fine': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Victoria_Stafford

Quoting DaisyHH:

She is far too trusting and it freaks me out. My biggest fear is the fact that I am not around 24/7 to supervise her. I have mentioned to other people my fears but most of them just tell me I am paranoid.  My mom and her dad are the only two who share in my fears...likely cause we are the three that know her best.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting DaisyHH:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting DaisyHH:

Quoting LindaClement:

marisab
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)