Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you take away your childs phone or car if they bought it with their own money?

Posted by   + Show Post

Say your child has a job and saved up to buy a phone or car. They make all the payments on insurance, gas, texting or whatever. Would you take it away if they misbehaved? 

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
catngabsmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM

depends on what they did and how old they are.

Erica

Mom to
Caterina-10.5
Gabriella-9
withallmylove
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Hell yes.... being Responsible is just as important as being Respectful.

If  they are able to be Responsable and make payment etc..  they should be old enough to still be Respectful of the rules you have in your home.

terramarie
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM
I agree with this!

Quoting atlmom2:

If they abused the phone or car, hell yes.  For 9 months they can't have but only 1 teen in the car.  Also can't drive between some hours.  OF course I would.   Also no phones in our home on school nights after 9pm.  If they bought it or not, that is the rules.  If they want their own rules they can move out.  Under my roof, my rules.  A car and phone are privledges no matter if they paid for it or not. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Umm,no that is stealing. You could justifiably take away driving "privileges" but if a job is involved, then it inconvieniences you,as well. I think if they've done something you feel is this grave, than the chores that are long over due (cleaning out the attic, pressure washing the siding) is you're only recourse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suethompson1956
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM

My grandchild had this happen.  just relax.  a phone is not an issue

suethompson1956
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM

hope you are oj

suethompson1956
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:00 AM

how old is your child?

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Generally, I would say No on most things. I'm not going to take my child's car because he forgot to take the trash out.

But if it's serious enough and that's what I have to do then I will.

We had a decision with someone about this recently and  Legally until a child reaches 18 they are actually not allowed to "own property". A parent can take what ever they own. If it was something serious enough legally DH or I could take that cars title and could go to Secretary of state and sell it.

The cell phone thing in this house is kinda tricky because I will not allow my children to have their OWN unless they are paying the bill, they can not sign a contract until they are 18. ( Unless they get a pre-paid)

but  I will have one that they can borrow to let me know where they are when they start driving though.

SourRoses
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:01 AM

no because they payed for it themselves. i would find another outlet of punishment.

OnTheCrazyTrain
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:03 AM
depends on what they did. Punishments got to match the crime
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured