Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How to clean out a dryer????

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM
  • 15 Replies

So we just found out that the tenants before us, who left their washer and dryer here washed her husband's work clothes in them... he had to of been a mechanic... because when I did a load of towels, and threw them in the dryer, I could smell motor oil.. when I took the towels out, the white ones were SOOOOOO DINGY! I know how to get to smell out... but what about the stuff that's making it all gross and dingy? I have a lot of whites that need to be washed... so I'm going to hang dry my clothes until I can figure this out.... I don't know if it's just the drum that is dirty, or if I would have to basically tear it apart to clean it... Would it just be easier to get a new one?

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaileynMe
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd run an old towel covered in vinegar through a couple times and see if that helped. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM
bump

bmack2107
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I will try that. Thanks!

Quoting BaileynMe:

I'd run an old towel covered in vinegar through a couple times and see if that helped. Good luck!

marisab
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM

this cause vinegars works wonders then test it with some white you dont care about

Quoting BaileynMe:

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM

You can also try running a load of nothing but water with A LOT of Clorox. That is what I did when my washer started smelling.

bmack2107
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I wish it was the washer! That would be MUCH easier to clean lol. I can get the dryer drum clean, but I'm not sure if the oil got inside of the dryer.

Quoting SexyTeacher:

You can also try running a load of nothing but water with A LOT of Clorox. That is what I did when my washer started smelling.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM
I honestly would lean more towards getting a new dryer. You aren't supposed to put anything heavily soiled by oils in a dryer because it can catch fire. I just wouldn't feel safe using it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
startupscafe
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

If the vinegar doesn't work alone, get some baking soda and mix it with the vinegar.  It becomes fizzy and the baking soda gives the scrubbing power it needs.  The vinegar dissolves the motor oil.

bmack2107
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I have been hang drying my clothes for now... I'm kind of scared to turn it on lol.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

I honestly would lean more towards getting a new dryer. You aren't supposed to put anything heavily soiled by oils in a dryer because it can catch fire. I just wouldn't feel safe using it.

mamakenzi
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM
I would replace it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN