Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

looking to buy used car

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM
  • 8 Replies
Is it weird or not okay to ask for the vin number before you buy the car so you can get a car insurance quote.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bbmkfo03
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Hmm....I thought the VIN number should always be available? Are you buying through a car lot or a person?

brandi2781
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Not weird at all. I would want it to do a carfax also!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Quoting brandi2781:

Not weird at all. I would want it to do a carfax also!

Yup, absolutely get the VIN, and if they do not provide it keep looking.  They obviously have something to hide.

stayathomemo271
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM
I haven't looked at it yet doing that tonight but I want to know what I'm looking at when I go and look at it. And its from a private seller
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Quoting stayathomemo271:

I haven't looked at it yet doing that tonight but I want to know what I'm looking at when I go and look at it. And its from a private seller

Then for sure get the VIN and do a carfax report too.

stayathomemo271
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Okay he's gonna text it to me thanks girls I haven't had my own car in 4 1/2 years so I'm excited to be looking. Next step figuring how sky high my insuernce will be
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Yea.........VIN numbers are visible from the front windshield, so you could even go on a Sunday to a car lot (when there are NO people) and get a few VINs and then get quotes on Monday from your insurance.  We have done that before.  Also, you should get the car's background (such as Carfax and such).  BUT if it was wrecked and fixed without insurance it will not be posted on the report.  Have fun looking!!!!

Oh.........and always take your child's car seat with you to make sure it will fit and have room like you want.  

stayathomemo271
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I was just talking to my mom about making sure to take the car seat to make sure it fits perfect. Thank you all for the advice. I can kinda be more independent with my own car and not have to wait til hubby gets home from work. ( he leaves so early for work that I just don't wanna take him to work although he tells me to take him so I can have fun durning the summer) but last night he said let's get you a car I was so happy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN