car temperatureSometimes it feels like being a mom means fighting a battle you just can't win. Take the Pennsylvania mom whose baby was sitting inside her vehicle in their own driveway when she got carjacked! Living smack dab in the middle of the region that got hit with a heat wave, leaving your 1-year-old in the comfort of the air-conditioning should have been the safe bet.

These are the darned if you do, darned if you don't moments that make parenting so hard. The good news here is the jerk who took off with Jennifer Ramirez' car must have realized baby Nariya was in the backseat and gotten scared.

The carjacker abandoned the car and the baby a few miles away, and the mom who had been unloading groceries from the vehicle when the whole thing went down was reunited with her little girl in less than an hour. But here's betting she will never leave the car running with her daughter inside again.

It's a sad commentary on the state of our society when you can't leave your car running in your own driveway. But this is a perfect example of the parenting Catch 22 I'm talking about.

You sit there reading all these awful stories about kids dying because they were left in hot cars -- accidentally or on purpose. And then when a mom does the exact opposite, specifically putting her baby in the coolest spot in the heat wave because she's thinking that's the smart thing to do, it still ends up hurting her family.

I've been lucky: none of the Murphy's Law moments of parenting so far have hit me like this poor mom. But that doesn't mean I haven't fallen victim to them too. We all have.

Think about that time you were "right there" when the toddling baby fell and bumped her head. You thought "being there" was enough, right? I could go on and on with this list. I am not a big "leave the car running with kids in it" person because of all the risks and the horror stories. But in your own driveway? I've done it. Now, probably not.

Have you left your child in the air conditioning in your own driveway? What has been your biggest darned if you do/darned if you don't moment?