Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Putting our house up for sale?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:16 PM
  • 16 Replies

We just bought our house almost 2 years ago from my parents. They just ask 40,000,we had  to get it aprasied (sp) never knew  what it was worth cause we never ask. Today  we went  to get the pay off & seen that  it was vauled at $80,000. Well know I'm wondering what to ask for the house I'm  thinking 70,000 my  husband thinks we should just ask for the  pay off, but doing  that i feel like we're just throwing money away. Reason  we're  wanting to move is to buy a bigger place this is just a 2 bedroom &  we have 2 boys and wanting to add another one in a year or so. So my questions  are, where do  I start? Do  we put signs outside, add in the local paper,  or what. I'm gonna post it online tonight after I  give  it a good deep clean.

Wife of a Southern West Virginia strip miner, Mommy to Keegan ( 10.25.06 ) Step-Mother to Alexis ( 2.28.08 ) Expecting  #2 our first together ( 1.7.12 )                                

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bec94
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Ask for what it's worth. People will negotiate for a lower price. If you go to low you have no wiggle room. Also take into account any repairs that need to be done. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bec94
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Also idk if you need a realtor, but probably a lawyer for closing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Get a real estate agent and protect your self and get whats right.  to just ask for the payoff if its worth more is RIDUCLIOUS  Pricing a home isn't just throwing numbers out there you would need to do your homework as to comparables---average price per square ft in your neighborhood/area ETC.  To want to possibly just give away your assets is crazy

marscella
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:53 PM
We just sold our house without listing with a realtor but we will have to pay closing costs with an attorney. The people who bought it didn't want to pay for the attorney to get paperwork done or split the cost to involve a realtor friend to assure all paperwork is taken care of properly~ I hired an attorney and we r payin te attorney not the buyers bcuz I want everything to b legal and not have anything come and bite me in the ass later ya know~

Just list in ur local paper, post signs in different places, put a sign in ur front yard and around ur neighborhood~ if after awhile it doesn't sell, I'd advise getting a realtor to help u. Either way u r going to pay for the realtor or attorney unless the buyers do it or split the cost with u. Most times tho when u sell ur house by urself, the attorney said the seller pays the closing costs~ and I'd list it at appraisal value bcuz ppl will always want to negotiate~ dont sell yourself short here~ get what u can out of ur house and use that money for down payment on new house ~ good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM
Instead of buying a new house, did you ever think to add on to your existing house.
The previous owners of my house added another level. It is really cool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Completely agree.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Get a real estate agent and protect your self and get whats right.  to just ask for the payoff if its worth more is RIDUCLIOUS  Pricing a home isn't just throwing numbers out there you would need to do your homework as to comparables---average price per square ft in your neighborhood/area ETC.  To want to possibly just give away your assets is crazy

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heybooboo
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:00 PM
List for what it is worth. If you list lower,you affect the value of the neighborhood negatively. If one of your neighbors decides to sell in the near future they wont be able to because banks will see what your house sold for and wont approve more than that.

I would also at least talk with realtors before you put your house on the market. Get an idea of what the market is like in your area,as that will also affect asking price.

You are really in a great position and you should take advantage. These opportunities are few and far between.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:04 PM

when my parents wanted to sell their house they wanted to sell it for 400,000.....i told them to go higher...and for some reason they actually listened...they put it out on the market for 675,000...it got sold for 620,000....so yess....go higher!!  cuz the the only direction from there, is down (cheaper)...aim high!!

momof6nokc
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Quoting erinsmom1964:

This needs to be printed off and taped on your refrigerator.  It's ridiculous to just ask for pay off. WTF is your husband thinking???

It's very dear to me, the issue of gay marriage.  Or, as I like to call it:  'marriage'.  You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch.  I parked my car, I didn't gay park it." 

~Liz Feldman~

keegansmom1025
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM

We  wouldn't be able to afford  to add on, this house is 101 years old. Its already  had another level built on some time  ago & theres  really no more yard to go out with more space.

Quoting crwspringer:

Instead of buying a new house, did you ever think to add on to your existing house.
The previous owners of my house added another level. It is really cool.

Wife of a Southern West Virginia strip miner, Mommy to Keegan ( 10.25.06 ) Step-Mother to Alexis ( 2.28.08 ) Expecting  #2 our first together ( 1.7.12 )                                

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)