Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How the hell do I get my kids to like each other?!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM
  • 8 Replies
My 7 yo daughter and soon to be 6 yo son seem to absolutely HATE each other. A good 95% they are doing something to one another to piss each other off. taking something from the other, arguing, touching the other, whether its poking with their foot, or pushing, or just being too close. My friend on Facebook posted a pic of her son and daughter, same ages, they were hugging each other just as happy and blissful as can be and I asked, "how the heck do you get em like that?" She sappily answered "they love each other, they are really close".. Really?! No seriously, what is the fricking secret?? I'm so tired of fighting, bickering, tattling... How do you get kids to get a long?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM

My siblings and I never got along either. Good luck.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

catngabsmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Why are they fighting? I would look at the cause of the fighting and circumstances around the fighting. What are you doing to promote a good relationship between them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babycakes2012
by Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 4:55 PM
There's rarely any legitimate reason they are fighting, its always just, they pick on each other constantly and seem to enjoy pissing each other off. They seem to always be looking for a way to annoy the other, always working at pushing each others buttons. I try to encourage getting along, I always praise them excessively when I catch them being nice to each other. I often explain how important family is and how important it is to get along and love each other because we are always the ones going to be there for each other. I always encourage using manners and to respect each other. I constantly reinforce the "if its not yours, don't touch it" rule.. I TRY!!!!!!!!!! the only effective solution is to keep them separated, but I want them to be close and get along, I just don't know how
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM

They probably actually do love each other.  I suggest getting them to work together toward a common interest somehow.  But you can only encourage harmony.  It won't eliminate the taunting.  My brother and I are super close, but we used to play together and fight and argue.  We grew out of the fighting when I became a tween.

raczac
by Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM

If you find out the secret please let me know mine go at each other like that all the time too they are 5 and 6.

colbys_mom
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Me and my sister never got along until we moved out on our own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM
Do they share a room?

Do you expect them to adhere to the same standards?

Do you ask them to problem solve?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marstelja
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 5:38 PM

My kids do that a lot too but they're a little younger. I try to spend some extra time with them and focus on them each individually and it does help. Attention is attention, no matter if it's postive or negative. Of course there's still plenty of days they just bicker and fight no matter what I do. Part of growing up - seeing how far you can push someone till they respond.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)