Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Anyone else have MOLD in their house?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM
  • 13 Replies

 We had a leaky pipe in our house that all of a sudden burst and when the restoration company came they found mold in my basement and family room. They think it's been there for a while. I'm so mad that we've been breathing this in for who knows how long. How do you know if you have any ill effects from mold? I sent my DD to stay with my parents. The workers took out all the baseboards and cut out the areas that had mold growing so it's all out of my house (that we know of).

Did you or your family have any side effects from the mold like feeling ill, etc? I'm just so disgusted that there's mold in my house!

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Depends on the mold.  I'm very allergic to mold, but luckily live in a pretty dry environment so haven't had to deal with it too much.

I hope they are able to get it cleaned up quickly for you.

ReidsNana
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM
What kind of mold was it? Black mold is the absolute worst. The neurological effects can be very, very bad.

Your best bet is to look it up on the internet as the types of mold and the effects vary greatly.

If the workers didn't mask off the areas with plastic, chances are, the mold spores spread. Hopefully they did this. There have been cases of houses having to be torn down because the mold infestation got so bad.

There is testing that can be done is you are concerned about your family's health. It can range anywhere from a constant runny nose and cough to neurological damage.

You should get a report from the company who did the cleanup to find out what types of mold were involved as well as the extent of coverage in the house.

Good luck momma!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
freshmom88
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM
We had it in our basement. My in-laws were actually living down there w/a bunch of it. They had some cold like symptoms but that was it. I still find some down there from time to time but I always take care of it immediately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReidsNana
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Oh, by the way, we had black mold (unbeknownst to us) in our house. We had no idea until a freak hail storm came through our town and we had to replace our roof. I often wonder if it didn't contribute to several health issues that my children had when they were younger. Asthma, ADD, so forth....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

 

Quoting ReidsNana:

What kind of mold was it? Black mold is the absolute worst. The neurological effects can be very, very bad.

Your best bet is to look it up on the internet as the types of mold and the effects vary greatly.

If the workers didn't mask off the areas with plastic, chances are, the mold spores spread. Hopefully they did this. There have been cases of houses having to be torn down because the mold infestation got so bad.

There is testing that can be done is you are concerned about your family's health. It can range anywhere from a constant runny nose and cough to neurological damage.

You should get a report from the company who did the cleanup to find out what types of mold were involved as well as the extent of coverage in the house.

Good luck momma!!

 You know what, they never mentioned what type of mold it was and I don't remember them putting plastic down. Now I'm concnened! I'll try to call the company Monday and get a report. Thanks for this info!!

LindaClement
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:30 AM

The ill effects from mould are real-time: you get lung infections, allergic reactions or you don't have any ill effects.

There was, for a short time, a lot of panic over mould (and lots of people selling very expensive 'erradication' programs are happy to perpetuate it), but the fact is: mould is everywhere, and it's almost never a problem unless you're working directly above mould that is being disturbed --for hours every day.

ReidsNana
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM
You're welcome hun. The effects of mold on the human body are very scary and can be a life long problem. I really do wish the very best for your family.

Quoting bbmkfo03:

 


Quoting ReidsNana:

What kind of mold was it? Black mold is the absolute worst. The neurological effects can be very, very bad.

Your best bet is to look it up on the internet as the types of mold and the effects vary greatly.

If the workers didn't mask off the areas with plastic, chances are, the mold spores spread. Hopefully they did this. There have been cases of houses having to be torn down because the mold infestation got so bad.

There is testing that can be done is you are concerned about your family's health. It can range anywhere from a constant runny nose and cough to neurological damage.

You should get a report from the company who did the cleanup to find out what types of mold were involved as well as the extent of coverage in the house.

Good luck momma!!

 You know what, they never mentioned what type of mold it was and I don't remember them putting plastic down. Now I'm concnened! I'll try to call the company Monday and get a report. Thanks for this info!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM

def depends on kind of mold ..my husband almost died because of black mold and is now bed ridden on a vent

PolishMamma2
by Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I live in Fla. so im always on the look out. we have sooooo much humidity down here its crazy. I wipe the doors, and windows with bleach like once a month, and I always use bleach in the bathrooms and on the tile floors. If it gets behind your walls though your in trouble!

mmccrea
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM

The last place I lived had black colored mold that I could not get rid of.  It was only in the shower area.  I even contacted the landlord, who did NOTHING.  I didn't notice any ill effects.  And, I was pregnant most of the time we lived there, and no effects on my baby either.  Mold is pretty common, so I am not disgusted by it at all.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)