Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Hi im new to the group im 22 and expecting our first child on 09/21/12 we are very excited and nervous!!

could you please give me your advice?.. i wish i knew this when my child was born.. or i really didnt need to do/have this etc... im sure u guys get the jist of what im looking for! thank you all very much!happy

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Replies (11-17):
937mrsweaver
by Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM

thanks guys! great advice!

CafeMom Tickers
Salem2012
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Dont buy too many new born diapers or new born clothes

TylersMom999
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Keep your infant swaddled in a blanket because infants like to feel secure and being swaddled reminds them of the "womb-like" enviornment from which they came....you will have a more content baby if you keep him/her swaddled.

Slings/Baby carriers are a lifesaver!  You can carry your baby around hands free while you get things done.

Sleep when the baby sleeps.

Accept help from others when they offer. 

Cook up some large meals and seperate them out into meal size portions and freeze them so you can just pull something out of the freezer and reheat once the baby comes.  Once the baby comes you will be lacking in sleep so you will be tired alot so being able to have a hot home-cooked meal in minutes will be helpful.

Trust your mommy instinct on all things!

Above all enjoy your baby because they grow up so fast!

Windowdove
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Sleep as much as you can while you are pregnant! Those first few months wear you out. . .but they are SO worth it! Don't get discouraged. If you get over whelmed with your newborn, hand baby over to S.O., and take a breather. If you are breastfeeding, get lansinoh! It is very good for sore nips. I had no problem (kind of) co-sleeping with my babies, because middle of the night breastfeeding can turn into sleepwalking! I had the baby in a co-sleeper bed in my bed for a while. My dd was in a bassinet right next to my bed. Breastfeeding makes you sleepy, and thirsty, and hungry!
As for labor, if you are nervous, don't be. That just makes it harder on your body! I read "hypnobirthing" when I was pregnant with my son. It teaches you wonders about being in labor! I highly recommend!
Being a mom is a wonderful, beautiful, challenging, amazing, gift. No words can explain ;) you will see ;)
CONGRATULATIONS!

06katc08
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM
congrats! dont be scared about labor, its not as bad as the horror stories make it out to be. Sleep as much as you can. Try to take time for yourself and with hubby after the baby comes, it helps your relationship and you stay healthy. Accept help when its offered. Dont be ashamed to ask for help if you need it. Listen to others advice but dont feel as if you have to follow it. Follow your instincts above all else. Get a sling or baby carrier of some sort, they are amazing. Kids grow out of clothes so fast. Make sure you have a swing, they are great for calming fussy babies and giving mommy a break, plus my kids always fell asleep in theirs. Prepare meals ahead of time and freeze them. Make sure your hubby helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Welcome to the group and congratulations on your pregnancy! :)

Join us in the Pregnancy group

erikadi
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I wish I knew how wonderful 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep felt. I wish I knew how wonderful it was to go to the bathroom with the door closed. I would have loved it not to be an issue to have a shower the first three months. I really needed my breast feeding pillow while in the hospital because it was hard for me to nurse without it. The breast friend was a better breast feeding pillow for me than the boppy because of the back support, but I used the boppy for tummy time. Definitely sleep while the baby sleeps during the day this can not be stressed enough until the baby sleeps longer at night. Since you are having a boy cover up his privates with a cloth and put the diaper on as quickly as possible because you can get peed on. If pee gets in his eye it does not hurt him. If he has a little blood while you are breast feeding that does not hurt him either. Try to learn as much as you can and how to work things a head of time so well you can do it in your sleep so it won't matter if you are sleep deprived.

On a more positive note when you are stressed, tired, frustrated, and feeling like a failure of a mother. You aren't. Not everyone is perfect. You are still a good mom. Try to remember when your kid smiles or laughs and the cute sounds they make. I would write in his baby book so I could look back on it later and feel like it was worth it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)