Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

raising a girl...bra, shower, and deoderant question

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD is 6, but sometimes seems like she is older than that. 

I have been trying to get her to take showers instead of baths all the time.  She doesn't really like them because she's afraid of the water....BUT if I get in the shower with her to show her how to do it, she's fine.  Any suggestions??  I REALLY don't want to take showers with my daughter (I have body insecurities as well as it's just plain uncomfortable) 

Also, my DH asked me when our DDs will need to start wearing bras.  Back when I was young my mom didn't buy training bras until I started to develop...but we were also on the lower class and if she could have gotten away with it, probably wouldn't have bought me a bra (she was the mom who wouldn't allow me to take showers everyday because I was using the oil and raising the water bill :( so I don't have a very good 'example' on how to help a little girl) When did you start to buy your DD a bra?  my DD is interested in them...but I don't want to push her to grow up...so I'm confused.

oh and....deoderant?  She takes a shower/bath everyday but DH and I have noticed she may need to start wearing deoderant.  When did you or your DD start to wear it and what kind did you buy her? 

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Replies (31-39):
lovinlife0607
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM

She's never had a problem with baths and any kind of infection...I don't know why I let my brother get to me so much.  He always has somethingt o say about the way I raise my kids.  My mom is the same way sometimes.  When I asked her docter she said that it may be a good idea to suggest a shower or encourage her to take one, but if she hasn't had any problems, there's no need to rush it.  I just was looking for other mom's opinions!!  Thanks! :)

Quoting nuts4scouts:

Quoting lovinlife0607:

I totally get what you're saying and I agree!!  I was questioning myself on these subjects because of what other mom's were questioning me....even my brother on the shower/bath thing because his 8 y.o. SD takes showers bc she would apparently get infections when given a bath so he was insistant that I start my DD on showering. 

Your brother's SD might just be susceptible. 

If you are worried there are some things you can do - 1) Make sure the tub is clean.  2) Do not do bubble baths, and use a soap that has no perfumes or dyes as those might irritate.

If your DD is having no problems, and is happy taking a bath, let her be. You do not want to make bath time into something she will dread.

The next time your brother, or anyone else, complains simply tell them your DD is healthy and happy as she is.

You might also tell brother to "but out", however that would depend on just how "insistent" he is being!

One more thought, bring it up the next time you take you DD in to see her doctor. Then you can have a "official" source.

MrsWhite101610
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Maybe give her a reward if she showers all week without a bath she gets_______. And if she's starting to sweat than its time to start using deoderant.

Quoting lovinlife0607:

she is sweating and my DH and sister have made the comment that she should probably start wearing deoderant.  As I replied to another mom, my brother was more pressuring me into starting showers with my dd.  He's older than me and has an 8 y.o. SD so I thought hew was right...especially when he mentioned the risk of infections or something... she would much rather take a bath.  I told her showers were what big girls took instead of baths but it doesn't really matter to her :)

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

I have a 2.5 year old dd so I haven't experienced this yet with her. Maybe explain to her why she needs to shower... how she's a big girl now and baths are for younger children. As far as bras I think she's too young, wait until she's developing some. That way she still understands she is a child. And if she's sweating then buy her deoderant if not than I wouldn't. I seen some geared towards preteens/teens. I don't remember the brand though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammabear413
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

training bras when they start to show, deoderant when they they smell more usally aounr 12 or 13 shower thing let her take a bath nothing wrong with it. in time she will shower

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM
You can get her panty and little bra sets at walmart there cute and will teach her how to wear a bra deoderant is ok at 6
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by Katie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM
My DD is 8. She had to start wearing a bra with certain shirts when she was 6 because you can see little budding. She wears a 36 training bra...guess she is going to be wide around like me. She always takes a shower now. She doesn't need deodorant yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidenmomplus4
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I wouldn't force DD to take a shower if she doesnt want too, as long as she takes a bath everyday you are fine.  Shower is something that you can get into when she a bit older , maybe around 8 yo. As for bras she is too young, but I do agree with a PP that an undershirt is a great place to start, i have 4 yo girls and they wear them. I would suggest looking  into bras when she actually has developed a bit and is actually in need of them. As for deodorant you can have her put some on if she really needs it but look for ones that are not too strong and are made for senstive skin.

Freela
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM

My oldest dd is 8. She is going to be an early bloomer, I think... I know that I was! We do use deodorant for her... we noticed last summer that she would get a bit stinky on hot days! Rather than use a standard antiperspirant, I bought her one of the all-natural mineral salt sticks... doesn't interfere with sweating but kills bacteria on the skin that cause body odor. We just use it when she gets out of the bath, and it has been enough for her so far. No bra yet. She has minimal breast buds, but nothing that needs support yet. I'm not going to worry about bras until she is more developed than she is. We have talked about physical development and that breast buds are the first stage of growing breasts, and that eventually she will wear a bra like mom's, but she is in no way hankering for one and I don't plan to get one until she is a little more developed. As for showers, no idea... she still prefers baths and I dont' really care one way or another as long as she is clean!

mamabearlehman
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Just let her take a bath. I don't like showers either. I think this is all pretty much common sense. When she starts getting stinky, get her deoderant and when she grows boobs, buy her a bra.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM

my daughter is 8....she has showered (either a bath or shower)on her own since she was 2.5...with my help washing hair..she doesnt use deoderant yet...no need for it..and she has no need for a bra yet...although she wants one..LOL..,however i wont buy her one til she needs one..maybe a sports bra...but not til next year...(maybe..lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN