Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I left to go to the bathroom, and a toddler I was watching got a candle from the computer and looks like he bit into it and maybe ate some. Is candle poisonous? I left him some gold fish to eat and not sure if he got confused on the two.

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Replies (11-17):
Mrs_Incredible
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Call poison control

LindaClement
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Wax itself is inert (we can't digest it, it will just go through) and it doesn't melt at body temperature.

Some components of candles (scent, colours) can be toxic, but unless he ate the whole candle it's extremely unlikely that the dose was high enough. Some wicks have lead, but that's not the wax part...

My2Midgets01
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM
It's generally nOt the wax that is toxic but the oils used to scent candles. We make candles where I work and yes, some oils are more toxic. It depends on what additives there are, if they are true essential oils and more. The best bet is to call poison control with as much of the candle info you can. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
My2Midgets01
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Great response ... You put it much better than I did!!

Quoting LindaClement:

Wax itself is inert (we can't digest it, it will just go through) and it doesn't melt at body temperature.

Some components of candles (scent, colours) can be toxic, but unless he ate the whole candle it's extremely unlikely that the dose was high enough. Some wicks have lead, but that's not the wax part...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bunni23
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:07 PM

he is fine. Just gave me a shock is all.

Quoting Bmat:

How is he?


girlcarrot
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

eh, my kid has ate a rock before. Kids are weird.


Hopefully he'll be ok eating some of a candle.

marisab
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:28 AM

depends usaually not but i would check package or compamny website to be sure

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)