Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

2 Yr old DD won't nap and…

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM
  • 25 Replies
It's driving me somewhat insane. I understand that some kids give up their afternoon naps sooner than others but I'm not sure she's ready.

What I mean is that she won't nap most of the time at daycare (they nap from noon til 2) but when I pick her up in the evening she's so tired she either falls asleep in the car on the way home or is so wound up til bedtime that she's hard to handle. On weekends she tends to do the same thing. She won't nap til around 4:30 and by then I can't allow her a full nap because I want her to go o bed on time.

How can I get her back on schedule? Because I work from home she doesn't have to get up super early. She's usually up by 7:30, fed by 8 am at daycare around 9:30-ish. She's picked up from daycare at 4 and given dinner by 6. She's also recently stopped eating very much. She eats breakfast fine, won't eat lunch at daycare and now reuses to eat any dinner except 2 or 3 bites.

I'm feeling like a terrible mom because the daycare teacher always tells me DD wouldn't eat anything except fruit at lunch and wouldn't nap. Any advice on how to get her back on schedule and eating again? Im getting desperate for advice so thanks in advance for any help/tips you can share.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Hmm Maybe at home start a "quiet" time for the time nap should be.  For a 2 yr old that means soothing music, she can look at books or play quietly with any soft toys in bed.  For eating just keep encouraging her to eat at each meal time and at snacktimes as well.   My dd is 6 and did not eat lunch for most of the school year and it frustrated us all even her teachers.  

Shaei
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Thank you for the advice. I've been trying quiet time since she doesn't want to nap at her normal time. Unfortunately by the time she gets to 4 pm or so she's finally sleepy. If I try to keep her up so I can just put her to bed a little earlier she gets so hyper and into EVERYTHING!!! She'll even run from me at bedtime and do everything in her power to not get into her pajamas. She's usually such a well behaved kid so this change has me baffled.
everydaymom08
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM

If she falll asleep at 4:30 try giving her like a 10 min nap. Thats what I have to do with my 3 yr old. Hope this help.

ashleybgarcia
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I would say wake her earlier. My son would not be ready for nap at 12 either, & he's 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaei
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM
I've gone so far as to give her 30 minutes to recharge her batteries. It's tough waking her up afterward because she's still tired.

Her habits appear to be changing right now and not for the better. I know how to discourage the unwanted behavior but not how to get her to do the desired behavior. That's what's frustrating for me I suppose. Thank you for the advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I remember my daughter rebelling from naps around that age. I started something that took me a long time to break: rubbing her back til she fell asleep. Don't do what I did lol!!
I would make her have quiet time as well. Darken the room, maybe put on a movie. I bet she ends up falling asleep. My dd is 4 now and she still naps:) she is so cranky if she doesn't. Some days, we still do quiet time. Just try and stick with it, she willget back on track.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Ya know, I have found that sleep schedules are forever changing. If she ends up falling asleep around 4, I say let her snooze for an hour or so. Even if you have to push her bedtime back a bit, I am more than willing to bet she will still go to sleep. You just have to kind of adapt as things change. Mine used to go down at 7 every night, but now it's anywhere from 8-9 Bc they will have that Kate nap. They still get up at the crack though. I hope you find something that works:)

Quoting Shaei:

Thank you for the advice. I've been trying quiet time since she doesn't want to nap at her normal time. Unfortunately by the time she gets to 4 pm or so she's finally sleepy. If I try to keep her up so I can just put her to bed a little earlier she gets so hyper and into EVERYTHING!!! She'll even run from me at bedtime and do everything in her power to not get into her pajamas. She's usually such a well behaved kid so this change has me baffled.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
americamom
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
As a daycare provider I will have to say, welcome to 2 year olds. They are picky, they are hard headed, and are on their own schedule. I recently worked with a classroom that was exclusively 2 year olds from different cultures (lived close to DC and several foreign Embassy workers) and they are all the same. Does the daycare provide lunch or do you provide it? If you do, think finger foods (cereal, cut fruit, little sushi looking sandwich rolls). I have found that USDA wants daycare providers to serve lunches that do not appeal to 2 year olds which could be your daughter's problem at lunch time. However, she will eat when she is hungry. Does she drink juice and milk throughout the day? I have found that 2 year olds tend to drink more than they eat and milk will definately fill them up. I often had children eat for a little while first before giving them their milk or juice. She will not starve herself. If you worry about nutrician, make sure that when she is hungry she is only offered healthy choices. Think milk and other proteins first (could be from kids yogart like go-gurts or even kids protein drinks, like pediasure) and then carbs and vegis. Make a rule that she has to sit at the table until everyone is finished, you might get a few more bites out of her. Most daycares make children stay seated for that reason.
As for the nap time, it is true that sometimes 2 year olds start to give up their naps, but they need to rest all the same. How does the daycare handle naps? Is there a quiet time prior to naps, such as a quiet book or music? Do they stay very active even on rainy days? Talk to her in the car and tell her that if she takes a nap at school then you will reward her with XYZ. Even if she lays quietly that would be ok.
I will also comment that most daycare kids get there very early, eat early, etc etc. and the kids that come a bit later are on a different schedule, have not been there as long and have been as active as long so their needs are different than a child that is at the center at 6 am. Maybe get her up earlier even if it is to let her play something until you are ready to get her to daycare. If she is not getting there until 930, she will not really be ready to eat or nap until later. It is hard, I know.

Overall, 2 year olds are starting to gain autonomy and fight decisions that are made for them, even when the adults in their lives know what is best. I did home daycare when my DD was 2 and she was by far my toughest one because she was on a different schedule than most of the other children.
jesusgirl76
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM

My dd who is almost 2 is the same way. She won't nap and usually only eats fruit. That's definitely a picky age lol. Good luck.

aidenmomplus4
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the terrible two's lol it's no fun but she is basically exploring how far she can push you. When my kids went thru the whole I'm not napping stage of life, I would basically tell them all , "ok you don't want to nap, fine but you will be laying in your bed till nap time is over" and the first few weeks I had to come in frequently to tell them to quiet down and get back in bed but eventually they all give in , they are now 5 yo and 4 yo and they all still nap two hours a day. As for the food we got it a lot around that age and we still get it now, I became concern so I asked the pediatrician and she basically said to us offered them food, healthy food, if they refuse to it that is fine but no junk food, eventually they will get hungry and they will eat whatever you put in front of them, but she told us never to offer them different options to get them too eat because that is how you create picky eaters, so we stuck to our guns and basically let them skip meals until they eventually give in. Now they are healthy eaters, the majority of the time they will eat whatever is put in front of them, and they know if they don't eat , they aren't getting anything else.

You aren't awful mother, she is going thru a phase and there will be many more, you just have to stick to your guns, and keep trying until she gives in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)