Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Does this make me a selfish mom?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM
  • 36 Replies

Each summer my mother in law takes my kids for a week, gives her some time to bond with the kids and some time for me to take care of myself. The week began last Friday (today is Tuesday), the kids have three more days at my mother in laws but my son (7) called me lastnight and then again this morning saying he wants to come home, he misses me and his dad and his toys... I have been looking forward to this week and my "me time" which finally began today because of work and now he wants to come home. One part of me hears him wanting to come home to be with me and I want to go get him but then another part of me is screaming because I NEED this "me time". Is it selfish to make him stick it out at my mother in laws? I told him that I need at least the rest of the day today and then maybe I will go get him tomorrow. Does that make me selfish for not going to get him now and waiting til tomorrow? What would you all do?

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

If he has been fine before then I would just let him stay. Is your MIL doing stuff with them or are they just sitting there bored? I would want to come home too if I were bored out of my mind. Maybe you could suggest her take them to do something?

barefootmommi
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM
.... I don't think it's selfish at all every momma needs me time but I probobly would still go get him anyways
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chasinrainbows
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM
I would make him wait. It's only 1 week a year. Everyone needs "me" time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaraMia626
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM

My mother in law plans activities and has a lot for them to do to stay busy but it's tearing me apart to not get him. I talked to mother in law and she thinks he is just over tired so she is having him take a nap and we will see what happens from there. I will probably go get him tomorrow but it makes me so frustrated because I am losing that "me time"!

rhymia
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Hmm, this is actually tough. My girls have done overnights with their grandma (who keeps them very busy with fun things) but have never done a full week. I might try to have him wait it out, since if he comes home and is the only child around, you will be even more "on" than usual. In the future I might plan for only a couple of days when you know you are not working so you can get the full benefit :D

Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM
I don't know if I'd say it's selfish, but it isn't a decision I'd have a difficult time with. I'd be disappointed about losing the me time but I'd go get him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
indymom72
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Quoting chasinrainbows:

I would make him wait. It's only 1 week a year. Everyone needs "me" time.

same here

mamakenzi
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Quoting Cpdsptchgrl:

I don't know if I'd say it's selfish, but it isn't a decision I'd have a difficult time with. I'd be disappointed about losing the me time but I'd go get him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyLife1996
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Let him stay put. Get your relaxation in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stephjohn
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM
I havnt had a day without kids in two years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN