Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What do you do for a dental emergency?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM
  • 9 Replies
DS has a tooth (or a part of his gums?) that is causing him quite a bit of pain. He first said it hurt Monday night, and since he's 6 I assumed it was 6 year molars coming in. He complained again last night and got to the point of tears, so I gave him Tylenol and put Orajel on it and he went to sleep.

Well today he has been in almost constant pain, crying on and off. So I called his dentist and said IDK if it's a cavity or what but he needs an appointment. The soonest they could see him was a week from today. I made that appointment, but now the more I look at it, it looks swollen all around his back two teeth on that side and we have to keep putting Orajel on or he cries it hurts so much.

So I don't know if this is something ER-worthy, or if I call the dentist first thing in the AM if they will squeeze him in, or what. I've heard horror stories about tooth infections getting into the bloodstream and causing major problems, so I'm a little paranoid because of the swelling. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
budgie1117
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM
I'd call the ER and see what they say. They may tell you a dentist has to see him. I would definitely call the dentist in the morning and tell them this seems like an emergency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katt709
by Katharine on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM
If its an emergency your dentist should fit him in. If not, find another one. But since it's after hours now, call the ER and see if it's ER worthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabearlehman
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Your dentist should fit him in. Tell them it's an emergency. I went to the ER for a severe tooth ache and they gave me antibiotics and pain killers which made it feel better until I could get to the dentist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Get another dentist. Don't bother with the ER-unless there is a dental school attached, they won't do much.  Do some salt water rinses-and give the kid some Motrin.

MamaJess9
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM
I forgot about salt water rinsing. Going to have him try that. I've been giving him Tylenol.

We haven't even been to this dentist yet. :( They had a pediatric dentist who was awesome and my kids loved going, but that office closed and she is no longer practicing as far as I know. So we found this one, but they aren't due for cleaning/checkups until August. If they won't fit him in tomorrow, I will be calling other dentists.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Get another dentist. Don't bother with the ER-unless there is a dental school attached, they won't do much.  Do some salt water rinses-and give the kid some Motrin.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyLife1996
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Also ground clove works wonders it tastes horrible but it numbs for hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Quoting MamaJess9:

I forgot about salt water rinsing. Going to have him try that. I've been giving him Tylenol.

We haven't even been to this dentist yet. :( They had a pediatric dentist who was awesome and my kids loved going, but that office closed and she is no longer practicing as far as I know. So we found this one, but they aren't due for cleaning/checkups until August. If they won't fit him in tomorrow, I will be calling other dentists.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Tylenol is good for pain, but you want to reduce any swelling as well-hence the motrin-Tylenol doesn't reduce swelling the way Motrin (Ibuprofin) does.

MamaJess9
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Thanks ladies.  I called a friend of a friend who's a hygenist with this dentist office, and she said if I call first thing in the morning and tell them I believe it's an infection or abcess, they WILL get him in, so that's good.  I feel so bad for him, though. We went out and got pudding and applesauce because it hurts him to eat. :(

Maddy12922
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Tell your dentist you think its something serious. If they dont see him asap tell them you take him to another dentist. It would take like 5a miniutes for them to tell if it can wait or not. ER is awfully expensive for us so that wouldnt be an option. Find a dentist who providrs an emergency #. Our does its actually his home phone. Our ortho providrs us with an emergency # also. You are your kids first responders so be proactive before it becomes something serious. Dont be afraid to be a Bitch if you have to. Set your assertiveness up front with people that you are paying to provide a service. Them they will get it that when you call you mean bussiness. Sorry to rant and rave but Ive had to deal with drs and dentists like this alot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)