Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Advice on gift-giving

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM
  • 9 Replies
I have a few close (out of town) relatives who do not recognize my 2 children (ages 5 &2) on their bdays. They may make a comment on FB wishing them a happy day but no gift, card, phone call. These ppl are not hurting for money. I'm willing to let this slide but what do I do when it's their kids bdays? I hate to be spiteful & punish their kids & not send anything, but at the same time, I hate that my kids are ignored. To top it off, when I have sent something I never receive any sort of acknowledgement or thank you. It's always me txting to find out if they received the gift. My husband is fed up & says it's not about the money, it's about acknowledging our kids the way we do theirs. Any advice? What do I do for the next birthday?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Kiwismommy19
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 5:30 AM
It's about the kids, not the poor manners of the adults. I'd continue sending if you want the kids to have something from you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ultra_
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Yes, I'd keep doing what you're doing. What goes around comes around. Let the adults get their lesson naturally.

DixieL
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 5:40 AM

I wouldn't send presents anymore.First they are rude not even saying thank you and it sounds like they don't want to recipercate. I would just stop sending presents and cards I know it's about the kids, but it sounds like the parents didn't bring them up to even be grateful enough to say thank you.

Katt709
by Katharine on Jul. 14, 2012 at 7:11 AM
2 moms liked this
Expecting someone to send a gift is beyond rude. Just because you are related to someone or friends with someone doesn't mean you must send a gift. If you want to send a gift to every child you know go ahead but don't expect others to do so. And be very greatful when then do send gifts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmjmlj
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Stop sending stuff. They'll get the point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't send family gifts, nor they. Too large of family. We did a few years and it got to be too much. We can afford it too. We choose not to. Kids get too much junk anyway. We stopped buying the family Christmas gifts years ago also. They drew names for a while but when most were in hs we stopped that also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Send cards, but don't send gifts. Not as a punishment to the children, but because the families don't want to reciprocate. It might actually be worth it to talk with the parents and say what shall we do- continue to send presents or not- if you all don't want to, then it is fine.

izzyb120
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Thank you all for your advice. I appreciate your input!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I follow the golden rule: "Do for others what you want them to do for you"

I would stop sending gifts, if you have to chase them down to get a thank you.

As far as not punishing the kids: I would send a cooler card.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN