Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Couponing!! Anyone PLEASE help!!

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 5 Replies

I've watched a few episodes on TLC of Extreme Couponing, and it looks like such a smart thing to do, but i just don't understand how they do it!

A little bit of a backstory. My DH was in the Army before we met, he got into a car accident and the person who was in the car with him was badly injured and he was charged with Vehicular Negligent Injury. He was discharged from the military since the pending charge was a felony. He served one tour in Iraq and when he got back recieved his military bonus.. When they discharged him he was made to pay back that bonus. We were going to be getting a home loan from the VA so we could get our own place and DH just found out yesterday that he has to finish paying off his bonus before he can qualify for a home loan.

Long Story short we really need to start pinching pennies. If anyone could help me figure out how to do this 'extreme couponing' thing that would be so wonderful!!! We have a 1 yr. old and another on the way. Any secrets anyone would like to share would be great!!! Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me start :)

by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TairyHesticle
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

That show is not the way it really works...the creators of the show have even admitted that they break rules and the stores allow them to do things just for the show that they normally wouldn't allow. Couponing and getting a lot of stuff for super cheap or free is possible, but not really to the extent that they do it on the show.

I use coupons like crazy, it's fun! I got 12 Old Spice deodorants for my hubby the other day at 49 cents each lol

What I did was make a coupon binder...I bought a pink zippy binder from Walmart and a bunch of those card collector pages to put in the binder. They have perfect pockets for coupons. I clip coupons every Friday and Sunday (I get two papers up here where I live) and I organize them so they can be easily pulled and thrown away if they are never used. Then I match those coupons for that weeks ads at each store.

When the stores are having good sales and you have coupons for the stuff on sale. You get smokin' deals. Use store coupons with manufacturer coupons together on items and you save even more.

A great  book to read (I bought it on Amazon.com when I started) is by the Krazy Koupon Lady and it's called "Pick Another Check Aut Lane, Honey!"

She gives you a run down of all the stuff you need to know and she is really funny too!

MomNChandler
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

How do you get them so cheap? Do you just double up on coupons or something? Most coupons i see say limit one per purchase and stuff similar to that..

Quoting TairyHesticle:

That show is not the way it really works...the creators of the show have even admitted that they break rules and the stores allow them to do things just for the show that they normally wouldn't allow. Couponing and getting a lot of stuff for super cheap or free is possible, but not really to the extent that they do it on the show.

I use coupons like crazy, it's fun! I got 12 Old Spice deodorants for my hubby the other day at 49 cents each lol

critter_boo
by Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM
That show is in realistic you can do it to an extent though wich I do. You need to know what you can store and what you will realistically use. You gather coupons from online and the paper. Look at your store ads and match up coupons with what you will use. Make sure you know your store policy though. Here are some sites to get you started. I heart the mart. Com, krazycouponlady. Com, coupons.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TairyHesticle
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

The grocery store had them on sale already for that week, so I combined a manufacturer coupon on top of their sale and it got them down to 49 cents =)

It's not something that happens all the time but when stores are having really good sale like that one and I have a coupon for the items, I jump on it lol. I just keep all my coupons organized and every weeks I carefully scan the ads for every store, even dollar stores.

You would be suprised at what you can get when you watch every week and compare and use coupons =)

Quoting MomNChandler:

How do you get them so cheap? Do you just double up on coupons or something? Most coupons i see say limit one per purchase and stuff similar to that..

Quoting TairyHesticle:

TairyHesticle
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Always keep a print out of each stores coupon policy. Most couponers know more about the policy than the store does lol...you want to be able to whip it out and show them if they try to say you can't do something. Remember you can use a store coupon and a manufacturer coupon on one item, which saves you a lot too.

Also remember that purchase and per transaction are different. Purchase means the item you are buying. Transaction means the sale of the item. So if you see a coupon that says one coupon per purchase. That means you can use one coupon on each one you bought, if it says one coupon per transaction, that means in order to use a coupon on each item, you have to have the cashier ring them each up as a seprate transaction.

Once you learn to work the system it's awesome hehehe

Quoting MomNChandler:

Quoting TairyHesticle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)