Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

burglars leaving x mark on you driveway

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM
  • 18 Replies

ok people this is big burlars are leaving x on the left hand side of driveways so they know which houses to hit and one not too.

here is a article about it please pass this on to everyone you know-

http://www.toacorn.com/news/2012-07-12/Letters/X_marks_the_spot_for_burglars.html

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katiebeth1821
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Here is the article-

‘X’ marks the spot for burglars

I resent the city allowing unknowns to canvass our neighborhoods without fully vetting the vendors. I have had my share of scammers to be sure.

Having said that, a friend whose son is in law enforcement noted a crayon red “X” on my curb by my driveway last week.

He told me these solicitors communicate amongst themselves and they put a mark at a house that appears to have someone home all day, so they know what houses to avoid when they come back to rob the neighborhood.

The few houses I checked in my neighborhood that I knew their situation bore this out to be 100 percent true.

The “X” was on the curbs of folks who were home during the day and no “X” was on the curb of the folks who worked and were gone during the day.

When I can go on the Internet and find the door knocker’s address is really a dilapidated old house with trash all around, I know something is amiss.

If the city that allows this—they had a city permit—cannot do any vetting of significance, then I think the city should be held responsible for the thefts occurring since they are negligent and culpable.

And now I hear the police have been told to not come for calls from the citizens concerned about disturbing and suspicious door knockers: It’s not important.

The city needs to provide some real answers to their involvement. I emailed the city attorney a week ago but have not heard back to date.

Ann Telling
Thousand Oaks

cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Sounds like another internet rumor
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebeth1821
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I have x's on my neighborhood. its happening here in california in the ventura county area. I have called the cops and let them know. I want people to be informed

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

Sounds like another internet rumor

AMR320
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM
I am home all day but don't answer my door to strangers so guess they will be in for a surprise if they ever try and break in here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Scary but thanks for sharing!

Jenz-jab
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Hi I recently came across your posting about how burglars were using a X to mark who's home all day. And I am very concerned because today my husband and my brother in law noticed that several of our neighbors have a X at the end of their driveway and we do not. We have a infinity sign. It appears that our neighbors that have the X are not home during the day. As my husband and brother in law along with my self are always here at home during the day and night time. We have three big inside dogs, a alarm system that stays armed during the day and while we are home and away. We both have our CHL. And we have contracted law enforcement about this. What else can we do about this? How can we make the community aware of this situation?
Please reply to me I fear for my families safety. Thank you
MichelleJ1000
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:08 AM
Thanks for sharing. I am always home and there is always someone up no matter what time it is.
momtodab
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:36 AM
3 moms liked this
Well if that was true i guess i would make my own X on the drive way
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I couldn't find anything on snopes about this. I did find that in GB that dog thieves are putting a K to mark where there are valuable dogs to steal. But I couldn't find anything on snopes about this either.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Interesting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)