Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Legal Question??

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

When we moved into our house three months ago, the homeowner told us that the fencing, on all sides, was beat up from the previous tennants animals.She said she was planning to fix it right away.

A month later, she still had not fixed the fence, and my dog was injured by a nail. We accrued about $900 in vet bills.

Am I within my legal rights to ask the homeowner to cover some/all of the cost of the vet bill? If so, how would I go about doing that?

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM
I doubt it. I would have made sure myself the fence was safe or not let my dog outside or walk them on a leash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmommy0f3
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM
If it wasn't specifically stated in your lease that she woul fix it by a certain date, then unfortunately I don't think you would he anywhere with getting her to pay the bill. I could be wrong though, different laws in different states.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM
You need pet insurance! But I would bring this too owner attention. See if she have some type of insurance to cover this. Or she should allow y'all not to pay rent for a couple of months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Not unless it was written she would fix it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vwd_johnson
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM
My husband says yes if it was agreed upon prior to moving in, but if anything isn't in writing, pretty much screwed.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

In my experience, pet insurance doesn't cover enough to be worth it.  Unfortunately, you are responsible for your pet's bills.  Even if she had agreed to fix the fence, she gave you no guarantee that she would provide your pet a safe environment.  In order to make good on her agreement, she only has to fix the fence and still does not have to make sure it's safe for your pet.  That would be your responsibility to assess.  Many landlords don't even allow pets because they don't want to deal with the issues. 

livn4hevn
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

We have in writing that the fence NEEDED to be fixed, but nothing about dates, or anything like that...sort of a gray area I guess...

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Not unless it was written she would fix it

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM
You have to pet proof your yard or house. Its up to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Probably not legally since it wasn't written or stated in your lease agreement...but I would bring it to the owners attention and she might feel like she needed to help pay or at least offer...maybe. Sorry your dog got hurt.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM

legally they do not have to provide a fence for you.  YOUR pet YOUR responsibilty.  MAYBE you should secure and safety check an area before you let your children or animals roam around in them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)