Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
So I think we can all agree that this was a senseless tragedy that ended 12 lives too soon. I don't think anyone in their right mind would dispute that. I have a problem with what I'm reading in the news reports though. A set of parents took their four year old and four month old to a midnight showing of 2 1/2 hour violent film. WHY? Why aren't your kids tucked safely into bed at that time of the night. We need to stop exposing our children to such violence at a young age.
Before anyone points it out, I KNOW this is completely beside the point these babies could have been injured or killed but why we're they there in the first place?
I would like to hear some opinions. Let's try to be kind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Replies (91-100):
SassyMom25
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Why so mad and defensive? I truly hope you are right and we all don't suffer and regret the way the next generation is being raised. I hope you won't consider it 'any of your business' how this generation does things while they make decisions that will affect you and everyone else...just saying that you can't be upset afterward when you do nothing about how things are now.

Quoting Cpdsptchgrl:

Just more justification for you trying to dictate how others raise their children. It's none of your business as long as they are not abused or neglected or bringing harm to others.

Quoting mamaeagle216:

And that is the attitude that screws the world. What happened to 'it takes a village'?

But again, peace to you and yours.

Quoting Cpdsptchgrl:

You cannot control ANYTHING that other parents do. Only what you do with your own. That is the point that is lost on you.

Quoting mamaeagle216:

At least one other person thinks we are responsible for the next generation not just the children we have biologically. They are the future leaders of this nation.

Quoting SassyMom25:

I wouldn't take my kids, but more because of the violence than the time. We try to go as early as possible because its cheaper.

Unfortunately people don't want any judgment on their parenting, but we will all be affected by the generation we are raising. No one thinks about how the kids of today will rule the world in our old age. It frankly scares me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tranla
by Elisabeth on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM
I don't see a problem with either the time or the movie. I personally wouldn't take my kids to a midnight showing in a theater because they might be disruptive to other people watching. But I would take them to a drive in theater. We were actually talking about going and seeing the Batman movie this weekend. We decided not to because we were all feeling too tired to make the long trip there. So we're going to see how we're feeling next weekend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM

From 2004-2006 I worked night shift with my husband. If I had kids at that time, would it have been wrong to keep my non-school going non-daycare going kids on the same schedule as me, just perhaps home with a nanny, so I could spend time with them?

I bet a lot of home-schooled kids are on non-traditional sleep schedules. You only have to go to sleep at 8 or 9 when you gotta get up early for school in the morning.

Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
It never has been and never will be a stranger's business as to how I or anybody else raises my kids. Yes, it takes a village to raise a child...not a village of strangers. As to the issue at hand...the downfall of the next generation will NOT be them seeing movies like this at a young age. That's the least of the problems. I can't stand people who think that they have ANY say or business in the lives of complete strangers. And that is the EXACT mentality that OP has.

Quoting SassyMom25:

Why so mad and defensive? I truly hope you are right and we all don't suffer and regret the way the next generation is being raised. I hope you won't consider it 'any of your business' how this generation does things while they make decisions that will affect you and everyone else...just saying that you can't be upset afterward when you do nothing about how things are now.

Quoting Cpdsptchgrl:

Just more justification for you trying to dictate how others raise their children. It's none of your business as long as they are not abused or neglected or bringing harm to others.

Quoting mamaeagle216:

And that is the attitude that screws the world. What happened to 'it takes a village'?

But again, peace to you and yours.

Quoting Cpdsptchgrl:

You cannot control ANYTHING that other parents do. Only what you do with your own. That is the point that is lost on you.

Quoting mamaeagle216:

At least one other person thinks we are responsible for the next generation not just the children we have biologically. They are the future leaders of this nation.

Quoting SassyMom25:

I wouldn't take my kids, but more because of the violence than the time. We try to go as early as possible because its cheaper.

Unfortunately people don't want any judgment on their parenting, but we will all be affected by the generation we are raising. No one thinks about how the kids of today will rule the world in our old age. It frankly scares me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cpdsptchgrl
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:36 PM
It doesn't matter how completely legitimate it is. This woman and others that are like minded seem to think sol highly of themselves that they actually believe they have the right to have a say in how complete strangers raise their kids. This mentality that they are undoubtedly sharing with their children will be as damaging if not more so to their children as seeing a late night movie.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

From 2004-2006 I worked night shift with my husband. If I had kids at that time, would it have been wrong to keep my non-school going non-daycare going kids on the same schedule as me, just perhaps home with a nanny, so I could spend time with them?

I bet a lot of home-schooled kids are on non-traditional sleep schedules. You only have to go to sleep at 8 or 9 when you gotta get up early for school in the morning.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

While I may not agree with others parenting choices I think its way too soon to be pointing fingers at anyone other than the shooter.  I actually think its kinda messed up and disrespectful. jmo

Drgndame
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM
I have read up to 5 pages and I was wondering the same thing about what are kids that young doing at a movie theater. I use to work the overnight shift and my ex dh worked day shift and I never had my kids on my schedule. I would see people coming out to eat up to 2am with their toddlers I think is wrong I would never bring my child to the movies that late even a infant I don't want my kid bothering someone who paid good money to see a movie possibly a night away from the kids. Plus I would never bring my child to a R movie. My kids are in bed at 8pm and will never be out that late unless we where at the er. If I want to see a movie that bad get a baby sitter or wait for it to come out on dvd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Drgndame
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM
I don't think any one is pointing fingers the OP just wanted to know how you feel about small children being out that late at any movie at that a rated R one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmomof1won
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM
I'm sorry, I can completely & totally see this..let's say that the scenario was that the kids had eaten their dinner and were bathed & dressed and ready for bed & would be asleep the whole time or by that time at night. I can COMPLETELY see it. BUT the fact that this happened on the same night of this terrible incident is another matter altogether. My condolences go out to the families:-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I would never allow my kids to a midnight showing, but won't judge another parent. I am sure some could find something to judge of my parenting.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN