Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

raising a gender neutral child.. What is this? help *edited*

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM
  • 45 Replies

my cousin who I feel close to more like a sister had a little girl.. she says she is raising her gender neutrality..

so what no dresses, no pink,  what about dolls, nail poilsh etc?.. does someone know what that means when I purchase a gift for the child? I will be lost HELP please. I'm not saying she said these things I am trying to understand what she means by raising her kid gender neutrality

As for me I have allways allowed my kids to play with whatever toys they liked, my girls & my son have played with boys & girls toys.. my girls wear blue, my son has worn red & pink.. but they knew what gender they were very young. My girls were taught to be proud they are girls & my son is being taught to be proud he is a boy.   However I have told them: girls marry boys, & boys marry girls because that is what I believe.     

I dont raise my kids gender neutral.. this is my cousin & I'm trying to understand it.. so I can respect her wishes

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Basically anything that is not attributed to a certaian sex, like blocks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Stupid!! You can raise them to play with what they want. What if the little girl wants pink? She will say no??? Weird. My dd loved green. I dressed her in it. She is 21 and still loves green. Personality is inborn and not always learned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it means as a young child she will let the baby have what she wants, not just things that are "girly". So I would get blocks, green shirts, cars, dolls, whatever she likes. As a baby most toys are geared toward both sexes but as she gets older it just means she can play with anything or wear anything regardless if it's meant to be for a boy or girl.

maiahlynn
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Stupid!! You can raise them to play with what they want. What if the little girl wants pink? She will say no??? Weird. My dd loved green. I dressed her in it. She is 21 and still loves green. Personality is inborn and not always learned.

who me? why? because I am trying to understand this.. wow. or are you talking about my cousin? wow neither of us are dumb.. but she said she was raising her baby this way  ( born july 18th) she said she hated pink.. & I am trying to understand what this is so I can respect her decision.. geez..

as for me I have allways allowed my kids to play with whatever toys they liked, my girls & my son have played with boys & girls toys.. my girls wear blue, my son has worn red & pink.. but they knew what gender they were very young. My girls were taught to be proud they are girls & my son is being taught to be proud he is a boy.   Yet I have done my girls hair, nails, etc.. & my son ( and stepson) have thier hair short. All my kids are told they can grow up to be what they wish to be.. However I have told them: girls marry boys, & boys marry girls because that is what I believe.

3greatkids751
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess I kinda raise my kids gender neutral as well.. They play with whatever they want weather my son wants to push a baby doll in a stroller or my 4 yr old wants Matchbox cars I don't give a hoot! I forever will support my kids with whatever they want to do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:44 PM
I taught my girls they could play with anyhing too but I didn't go so far to be gender neutral. Mine grew up how they wanted to be. One didn't like dolls, one did. I didn't suggest only neutral things.

Quoting maiahlynn:

Quoting atlmom2:

who me? why? because I am trying to understand this.. wow. or are you talking about my cousin? wow neither of us are dumb.. but she said she was raising her baby this way  ( born july 18th) she said she hated pink.. & I am trying to understand what this is so I can respect her decision.. geez..

as for me I have allways allowed my kids to play with whatever toys they liked, my girls & my son have played with boys & girls toys.. my girls wear blue, my son has worn red & pink.. but they knew what gender they were very young. My girls were taught to be proud they are girls & my son is being taught to be proud he is a boy.   Yet I have done my girls hair, nails, etc.. & my son ( and stepson) have thier hair short. All my kids are told they can grow up to be what they wish to be.. However I have told them: girls marry boys, & boys marry girls because that is what I believe.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:46 PM

i let my daughter play with whatever she wanted, most of the time she chose big monster trucks.  but yet she still loves pink, loves dresses and has no problem jumping in a pile of mud..lol..

i think saying youre NOT gonna let your daughter play with 'girl toys' and not letting your boy play with 'boy toys' is wrong..kids all express themselves differently, and should be allowed to play with whatever they want, no matter what their sex is. 

Mrs_Incredible
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Toys that aren't "boy" or "girl" related. We don't raise our children gender neutral, but we do raise them without gender bias. My boys have cars, trucks, dolls, tea sets, dress up clothes, etc. 

maiahlynn
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM

well we are Not talking about me here &I dont raise my kids gender neutral, up till now never heard of it. this is my cousins wishs I would like to try to respect that.. as I said My kids have & allways will play with whatever they want starting at 3-4 they get them selves dressed & even help pick out the clothes I buy, but each know what gender they are.. my boys have short hair, my girls have long hair , then again thats what they like.. if my girls wanted short hair I would be ok with that.

Quoting atlmom2:

I taught my girls they could play with anyhing too but I didn't go so far to be gender neutral. Mine grew up how they wanted to be. One didn't like dolls, one did. I didn't suggest only neutral things.

Quoting maiahlynn:

Quoting atlmom2:

maiahlynn
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Quoting 3greatkids751:

I guess I kinda raise my kids gender neutral as well.. They play with whatever they want weather my son wants to push a baby doll in a stroller or my 4 yr old wants Matchbox cars I don't give a hoot! I forever will support my kids with whatever they want to do!

she didnt say that .. it was my question.. I never heard to gender neutral before so trying to understand it..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN