Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Pumping for my NICU babies

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:37 AM
  • 14 Replies
My milk has come in. I get the uncomfortable full feeling but never the let down and so even after I pump and get no more out it still feels a little full. Any suggestions on how to empty my breast?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArcticFire
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:08 AM
2 moms liked this

What worked for me was to use massage and/ or hot packs and continue to pump for about another 10 minutes after the last drop. Sometimes this will produce a second let down but this time when the milk stops flowing you should feel much better.

Mamato3Nunns
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Thank you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
budgie1117
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Yes! This!

Quoting ArcticFire:

What worked for me was to use massage and/ or hot packs and continue to pump for about another 10 minutes after the last drop. Sometimes this will produce a second let down but this time when the milk stops flowing you should feel much better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamato3Nunns
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Thank you. It worked!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onefootcutiepie
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Yep that what I did too, when I had twins in the NICU. It also helped up my supply so that I could keep the NICU stocked with milk and fill up my freezer...

thickerthan
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Do all of the above plus I found that warm compresses, pictures, or videos of my baby, a blanket that's been in with them for a night and/or the sounds of my premee helped. Plus I had my toddler who sibling nursed to help it along. Even if you nurse through a pregnancy the milk will stop for a few days and turn to colostrum. But an older child just cuddling will help. I made so much milk they told me to stop pumping for a week and just nurse my toddler.
quietsmilie
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Pictures of my baby, warm compresses, and lots and lots of time on the pump - your body will figure out to let down eventually.

lorelei10
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM

be careful though, it may cause oversupply, that could be a good thing, if you want to pump every hour lmao!!! That is what happened to me and if i would go 2 hours without pumping i would be SO engorged and i could get like 6 ounces out of each boob in less than 5 minutes.... 

Idk if every woman is the same in that way but it sucked for me lol

Quoting ArcticFire:

ArcticFire
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I had a 1 pound preemie, so just about anything I produced was oversupply. What ever mine couldn't use got donated to other families in need. I was getting 10 ounces each side every 3 hours until she came home, but still had to keep pumping and donating. It took a long time before she finally starting eating much. I figure, there's so many out there who need the help that it would be a shame to waste it if it could help some one else who needs it.

Quoting lorelei10:

be careful though, it may cause oversupply, that could be a good thing, if you want to pump every hour lmao!!! That is what happened to me and if i would go 2 hours without pumping i would be SO engorged and i could get like 6 ounces out of each boob in less than 5 minutes.... 

Quoting ArcticFire:

lorelei10
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 8:55 AM

that was such a good idea! I froze mine because i knew i was having some issues that i might not make it through, and im glad i did because that got my baby about 2 weeks of breastmilk after i had to give up to keep me from going over the deep end in pain :( I had HORRIBLE pain on let down.. i cried my eyes out every time....

Quoting ArcticFire:

I had a 1 pound preemie, so just about anything I produced was oversupply. What ever mine couldn't use got donated to other families in need. I was getting 10 ounces each side every 3 hours until she came home, but still had to keep pumping and donating. It took a long time before she finally starting eating much. I figure, there's so many out there who need the help that it would be a shame to waste it if it could help some one else who needs it.

Quoting lorelei10:

Quoting ArcticFire:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)