Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

how certain is a negative result?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 7 Replies

know that once you get a positive answer, it is positive..those never fail

but how about a negative??

I have reached day 31st on my cycle and no period.

test is negative but my periods are usually very regular every 27 days

shall i trust this negative?

fyi,I am not bfing anymore.my lo is one and I stopped bf in jan and my periods have been regular since dec

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sreichelt26
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM

just wait a few days and test again. it all depends on your hcg levels. a blood test gives earlier results.

unspecified42
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Switch that. false positives are not uncommon. But you will also get negatives in early pregnancy until your hcg is high enough
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kylenkodysmom
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM
False negatives are pretty common.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerossandra
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM
I had two pregnancies and got a positive result really early...now I'm getting concerned
LindaClement
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Not at all.

A lot of women don't excrete sufficient hCg for the test to be positive. It's positive tests that are extremely unlikely to be wrong.

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM

A missed period is NOT the only symptom of pregnancy, and a late period is also very common, no matter how regular you generally are.

Early in pregnancy, breasts are still swollen and painful.  You become sleepy all the time.  You become almost manic, with periods of highs and lows in your mood swings.  You may be light-headed when you stand up suddenly (why pregnant ladies on TV often faint).  If you're only symptom is a missed period, you probably are not pregnant.

If you are trying to become pregnant, you might take a "natural family planning" class.  They are offered through the Catholic Church in every area, and are for more than birth control.  They are about learning your body, recognizing those periods when you are most fertile, and then you can make a conscious decision whether to have intimacy during those periods. 

So many things can cause a late period.  Stress, diet change, mood swings, even traveling.  If you are dieting too strenuously, you might even miss a period entirely.  When my daughter was in gymnastics, working out every day, her periods stopped for about two years, and didn't return until she quit gymnastics.

If you are trying to get pregnant, relax.  Stress works against you.  And you can test again in a few days, but I'd recommend waiting even longer.  Either your period will begin, or you'll develop other symptoms of pregnancy.

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

My pregnancies were all negative.....I had 3 boys. My OBGYN learned quickly that a blood test was the ONLY way to go. Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)