Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My baby needs constant stimulation!

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am at a loss as to what to do about my 7 1/2 month old baby. He is very smart, hitting most of his milestones early, he is very active, alert, and interested in everything going on around him. I am a stay at home mom trying to get through online schooling while my husband works full time. I cant seem to get a single thing done because my son does not like to be put in anything: walkers, pack n play, bouncer, etc. He wants to be held and gettting constant attention or down on the floor getting into everything he is not supposed to. He whines all day long. If i set him in his crib or pack n play and let him "cry it out" he does not give up...it could go on for hours, and it does. It is the same story at night. When we finally get him to sleep in his crib, he will wake up a couple hours later screaming to be let out and will not go back to sleep unless we let him lay with us....which is an obvious problem....the list goes on but these are some major issues that I am trying my best to handle but seem to be getting no where :( Maybe someone else had similar issues with their baby? I would love to hear any advice thanks!

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I had a very high needs baby myself like that.  I personally would not recommend CIO of any sort until a year old.   How does he do with watching videos?  My dd loved books from very early on and that would hold her attention so that i could do housework.  Make a special area for him on the floor that he cant get into the dangerous things and his toys are in easy access spot.

Laurenv.88
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I have tried to set him down where hes got a spot to play but after a few minutes no matter how many toys or books he has, he starts to whine. He gets bored. Its like he needs constant change of scenery or new stimulation. That is the challenge with him.

StrawberryJam12
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM

i'd ask his pedi about it.

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM

He's not really bored, he just wants you there and that's not always possible.  But, have you tried using a sling or something so that you can wear him while you work on things?

Quoting Laurenv.88:

I have tried to set him down where hes got a spot to play but after a few minutes no matter how many toys or books he has, he starts to whine. He gets bored. Its like he needs constant change of scenery or new stimulation. That is the challenge with him.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Try wearing him when you have things to do...wouldn't it be better to have him in a front pack or back pack happy, rather than miserable elsewhere?  If he likes being worn like that,  and it keeps him happy, then that's your goal, isn't it?  Also, make a drawer and a cabinet especially for him to get into, and put locks on all the rest.  

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not seeing the problem, he sounds like a normal 7 month old baby.
That's what they do.

Baby proff the house and let him explore. He's going to get into anything he can get into.

Give him the attention, It's a phase and when It's gone. Trust me, your going to look back and miss him wanting to be held all the time and need you. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSwan001
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM
First my name is Lauren too :) second my daughter is ten months old and is very high needs. She is a Faliure to thrive baby, with devlopmental delays, acid relux, trechea larngeo melesea, sleep apnemea, reactive air way diease/ asthma, " hypothyroidism", she has texture issues and is "sensitive" she ges over stimulated fast and you can't just give her a new toy. Your baby from wht you said is being normal he just wants his momy to play with him. My daughter loves videos and playing with books she loves lights and music as well those types of items keep her concentrated longer. Try putting him in a stroller of high chair let him play with food and or toys while he gts to watch you play. I know how it is I had to finish my high school online when I was home 24/7 by myself. You need to go to bed later then him and wake up before him lol thats what I try to do, and trust me im not a morning person. My daughter loves sleeping with us so I let her sleep for a bit while I lay with he then I get all her meds and everything ready wich takes and hour r so and the put her in her crib, she sleeps all night and half the morning lol.
Laurenv.88
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM

lol maybe you dont get what Im saying. I know what a normal baby acts like. Thanks for telling me theres no problem, what a waste of time.

mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Just let him explore. I dont believe in baby proofing, aside from shutting doors and a gate if you have stairs. My ds is the same age,.and very adventurous. He has full run of the main parts of the house. Also too many toys can be overstimulating
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tisami1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Is he crawling? If so, why not let him explore within reason? My DS2 was a cranky baby until he crawled, then he was suddenly happy lol. I have several drawers/cabinets in my kitchen that keep him busy for awhile. (his favs are the storage bowls/pans/spatulas/and sippy cup drawer). Try giving him things that are a challenge for him but he can do himself. Things like putting objects in things, spoon feeding himself baby food (messy, but keeps him busy in a place you can strap him in lol), or toys that are designed for higher ages (not choking hazard things, but cause and effect toys designed for 12 months and up). As for the pack and play, park it near you and put things in there you wont let him play with unless he is in there. That way the toys are "new". He will eventually learn to like it, even if it is for 5 minutes.

ETA: Co-sleeping saved my sanity the first year of DS2s life. He would NOT sleep anywhere else except next to me. He is now 14 months and has been sleeping on his own shortly after turning one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN