Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My 8 year old started her period...

Posted by   + Show Post

We have been having problems with my daughter since June.  Mood Swings, weight gain, boobs growing, whiney, began in May.  Spotting began in June, took her to the doctor, was told she had a UTI, and that blood was in her urine.  So we began a long bout with antibiotics, again early July.  Then this past Sunday night the flood gates opened, and it was confirmed that she is indeed having a period.  She is having a really hard time with it, embarrassed, sadness, thinking that she is going to die, the whole kit and kaboodle.  I have tried reassuring her, she can't sleep, is unhappy and very sad.  I know that she will eventually adjust, I am so sad to, I cried all day Monday, when she didn't know.  But I am now looking at the bright side, at least it wasn't in school, and we have time to train.  Is anyone else going or gone through it?  How do I reassure her (we have had the talk), and I have done everything to make this extra special, (because I know it is a walk into adult hood, but she is so young). She is still playing with baby dolls, had no idea even of the birds and bees (except some general information)... It would be nice if there is someone whom has gone through the same thing.

I think maybe she is so early due to the fact of having asthma.  Since a very early age, before it was controlled, she was on tons of steroids...

Any help would be so wonderful...

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Replies (611-618):
elliesmommy1904
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM

That does sound like a great book for the situation.  I just didn't understand what the book was, and was wondering if I was missing something.

I remember reading American Girls books.  I just didn't read that one. :)

Quoting elzmnsf:

It's called the care and keeping of you, and it is about the changes a girl experiences over puberty, including periods. I really love the book and my 10 year old has had it since about 8. I actually bought her a box set that had that book and a journal type book to accompany it and it also had a book called the feelings book, and it's journal, which deals with the emotional ride being a young girl/woman often times is...

Quoting elliesmommy1904:

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

You said your child still is playing with dolls. Well the AMERICAN girl dolls are probably the reason this book was put out, but it's called the AMERICAN GIRL. so if your child can read well enough to read chapters, then she can read this book and it's quite good. (I read it before giving it to our, now, eleven year old grand daughter. (She was seven when she read it).

I'm confused.  Is this a book about periods?

vaprincess323
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

my daughter was nine when she started her periods. Tell her she is fine she is not dying.hugs

angiefonseca
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM

i started at 11, my mother was 13, my oldest started hers at 13 also.  i couldn't imagine my 8 yr old starting hers, we are just getting used the a.d.h.d.

good luck.

Bertalyn
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Good evening, I am fairly new to this site, but when I saw this article I knew I must respond.  I'm sorry it is so late.  My daughter got her period at age 8 as well.  Talk about emotional, I don't know who was more shook up, me or her.  All I could think is how could this happen to my "baby"....afterall, that is what she was...a baby.  I would have never thought such was possible.  But it was real and was happening to us.  The hard part was dicerning how much to tell her and how to tell her without revealing too much.  It was an awkward conversation, but it went very well.  Today my daughter is 13 and has matured leaps and bounds since.  But she struggles with having a regular period.  She will go 3-4 months without it, yet still have the cramps and mood swings that come.  Out of concern, we made a trip to the obgyn and found out that many times when a girl gets her period at such a young age, many times it will take months to years before it comes on a regular basis.  It was also mentioned that as long as she receives 3-4 periods a year, all is good.  The doctor recommended that around 16 she be tested if is still not regular.

AngelMacaroni
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Wow, that is early... I can understand why she'd be upset! I have heard of some kids with a certain genetic disorder (I forget what it was called) that started puberty early, and there was a medication they could take to stop their period and other development until they get older. Have you talked to the pediatrician to see if there is anything like that your daughter could take? 

Tori Joy's Smiles

We send cheerful mail to children who are going through difficult situations... anything from bullying, to parents divorcing, to being homeless, to being the victim of a crime. MILITARY FAMILIES... WE WOULD LOVE TO HELP OUT BY SENDING MAIL TO YOUR KIDS! 

VanessaCB
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:33 AM

That's scary to me. My daughter just turned 7. I started mine when I was 13 yrs old. I hope she does too.

casseopeia
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:24 AM

WOW, 8 years old.  I can't imagine how hard that would be. 

I don't know what to tell you other than trying to comfort her. Poor thing.  I think my SD is headed in the same direction.  She is almost 9, her weight is ballooning, she's getting breasts, and she is super sassy-mouth.

notsowicked11
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:08 AM

if she has a hard time dealing with it (and you, too, for that matter), I would consider taking her to counseling. A female counselor can help her deal with this better, and you also. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN