Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

do your kids eat all the time??

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM
  • 22 Replies

My boys (6,5,3) are always hungry. As soon as breakfast is over they're asking for a snack and then asking what's for lunch. I normally say, hey if they're hungry, let them eat. only they know how hungry they are, but i feel like i'm always feeding them. they eat perfectly well at meals, we sit down at the table, three meals a day. They are also all very active and are a perfectly healthy weight.  

do you let your kids snack when they're hungry or do you make 'em wait till mealtime.

Sample menu:

whole wheat blueberry pancakes with butter and maple syrup, 1lb bacon between the three of them + dad, a glass or two of whole milk

apples with peanut butter

hot ham and swiss on whole wheat, grapes, carrot sticks, smoothies (whole milk yogurt, strawberries, honey, wheat germ)

graham crackers, peanut butter, pineapple, celery 

whole wheat oatmeal cookies

bean soup with sausage, corn bread, fried potatoes, whole milk

orange slices, apple slices, mozz cheese, carrot sticks

they drink water throughout the day as needed, some drink more than others.

they usually have more veggies with dinner, but since we had soup i didn't really serve an extra veggie. maybe they need more high fat foods (?) i don't know, i just hate telling them no b/c how do i know if they are hungry and they eat their meals, but good lord i am always in the fridge i think. 

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kiwismommy19
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM
She's always been more of an all day small eater rather than a few times a day big eater. But averaging what gets eaten in a typical week and she gets all she needs to. For the most part, she doesn't even need to ask for something. Just let me know what she got so I can keep track of how much of whatever we still have. She's 7 now and it's been that way for years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

She's always been more of an all day small eater rather than a few times a day big eater. But averaging what gets eaten in a typical week and she gets all she needs to. For the most part, she doesn't even need to ask for something. Just let me know what she got so I can keep track of how much of whatever we still have. She's 7 now and it's been that way for years.

My 6yo does this but the 5 and 3yo are banned from the fridge b/c they grab stuff and hide it for later and then forget about it. i love finding a lb of moz cheese inside a lunch box (we homeschool so that should tell you how often we use lunch boxes, lol). 

Susan0805
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM
My daughter is always hungry!!! I cant seem to feed her enough. I always worry she is overeating but earlier she had a bad dream and while i was rocking her i noticed i could feel her little scapulas and ribs poking out. :-( i think she is getting a growth spurt maybe. She will be 5 on sunday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Quoting Susan0805:

My daughter is always hungry!!! I cant seem to feed her enough. I always worry she is overeating but earlier she had a bad dream and while i was rocking her i noticed i could feel her little scapulas and ribs poking out. :-( i think she is getting a growth spurt maybe. She will be 5 on sunday.

this is where i'm torn on not knowing if they're hungry or what. i really don't think that they overeat (like out of boredom or something), but it sure seems like a lot of food. dh just says, "oh they're boys," but already eating more than i do doesn't seem right. 

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:28 AM

My youngest is always hungry.. He is 6!  He will eat breakfast, more breakfast, a snack, lunch, lunch, snack snac, dinner, banana, dinner, 2 bananas, snack.. 

I swear, I actually have caught myself limiting his food because some days I don't believe he is hungry.. He is just bored,,

lilbosslady1978
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:31 AM

YES...but one plays football.  He's a pass catcher.  Tall, skinny, and 11 years old.  The other is 14 years old, 5'7, and outweighs me (which doesn't say much).  My grocery bill is around $600 a MONTH.  It's just US.

I get it.  I totally get it.  

Yes I let them snack.  

Success is the best revenge! 

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:36 AM
I have 2 boys, 7 & 14. I feel your pain, trust me. My older one has grown over an inch in the past month and wears a size 13 shoe. He's also skin and bones. And there are days when then younger one can keep up with his brother in Olympic class eating. He is the same height at 7 that DS1 was at 9.
tennisgal
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:45 AM

well that reassures me! I had 4 sisters and just don't remember us eating like this, especially this young. it feels impossible to keep fresh food in the house. i went to aldi's on monday and got a cart full of produce ($40...totally awesome) and there is a small bowl or strawberries, a small bowl of pineapple, and a few apples and oranges left. crazy!

Quoting balagan_imma:

I have 2 boys, 7 & 14. I feel your pain, trust me. My older one has grown over an inch in the past month and wears a size 13 shoe. He's also skin and bones. And there are days when then younger one can keep up with his brother in Olympic class eating. He is the same height at 7 that DS1 was at 9.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I am thinking they could be bored.  When dd is bored, she wants to eat more.   What size portions are you giving them?

elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine do that during growth spurts. I think you should ask them to drink an 8 oz glass of water, then wait 15 minutes... I they are still hungry then the things you are offering are perfect! It's a bit much, for some kids... Mine eat a lot but not that much and we don't do tht much milk, but mine are girls and they still can pack it away at times... But my rule is a cup of water and 15-20 minutes and if you are still hungry then you get a healthy option or two... Unless it is right before a scheduled meal or snack time. If its a meal then you can wait the 15 minutes till it is cooked and if a snack, that can be moved up 15 minutes no problem...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN