Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Excuses, Excuses

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM
  • 15 Replies

Recently dd (3 1/2) has begun making excuses.  It usually happens when I correct her on something or catch her doing something she's not supposed to be doing.  Is this a normal kid phase? 

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs_Incredible
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM
yup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM
What do you mean by excuses? Like, reasons? Explaining herself, or lies?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:15 AM

yeah. i think so. just keep directing her to what you need her to do. my son's is, "I'm so tired." when he doesn't want to pick up...that means he's going to be in his bedroom until he puts all the books away or cleans up all his dirty clothes. 

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:38 AM

What do you mean by excuses?  Adults do this alot as well.  If she says she is too tired to help clean up, let her know she will need to go to bed for the night/day then so she can get proper rest.

LRB_Kaycee
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I would categorize the excuses as being lies.  She does it as though she's trying to explain herself, but I know it's a usually a fake reason.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

What do you mean by excuses? Like, reasons? Explaining herself, or lies?

LRB_Kaycee
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I can totally see that adults doing this too.  I just didn't realize a 3 1/2 year old would do the same thing.  Example of an excuse was just last night was when I accidentally caught her coming out of her room when she was supposed to be sleeping.  As soon as she saw me, she immediately said, "I was just coming out to give you a hug."  I reciprocated her hug and told her that she needed to get back to bed so she could be well happy and well rested for the next day's activities.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What do you mean by excuses?  Adults do this alot as well.  If she says she is too tired to help clean up, let her know she will need to go to bed for the night/day then so she can get proper rest.

piwife
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:11 AM
Yeah ....my daughter is 5 and does it. She started at about 4. I heard it last thru teenhood.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

yep ttoally normal..

like pushing bed time back cuase they " need a drink, need to potty, need another hug..."

ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM

my DS [23 months] blames our CAT for everything... 'Poopie, why is the living room covered in your toys buddy?!' 'The kitty cat did it' hahahaha, it drives me crazy!!

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Absolutely. And age appropriate.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)