Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

To Mommas that can...

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM
  • 7 Replies

Next year I'm planning on having a garden since it will be mine and df's first house with a yard. lol Well my main purpose for the garden is so I can/ freeze veggies, plus I grew up eating what I grow and I really do believe it's better than store bought. Well I talked to my grandma who's canned for many years but she's set in her ways and thinks that's how everyone should do it. She swears by a pressure cooker.

My question is, is a pressure cooker neccessary for canning things? If it helps I plan on canning tomatoes and varius sauces made from tomatoes, green beans, pickles, pickled okra and so far that's all I've planned for now.

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

we boil water and place the jars in until they seal.  pressure cooker is the best way to do it.  we usually do tomotoes by the bushel so we use oil drums for our gravy.  enough to last us a year.  we jar other things and we use boiling water

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Not that i know of.  I grew up with everyone canning using a huge stock pot and lid.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I haven't canned before, we ate it as soon as it was ready. But that is awesome! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM
I've always heard to use a pressure cookery that's how everyone I know (who cans) does it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lj.smommy
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Thank you!

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

we boil water and place the jars in until they seal.  pressure cooker is the best way to do it.  we usually do tomotoes by the bushel so we use oil drums for our gravy.  enough to last us a year.  we jar other things and we use boiling water

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lj.smommy
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Thats how my grandma has always done it when I was around, but I know my dad doesn't always use his.

Quoting SouthTxPrincess:

I've always heard to use a pressure cookery that's how everyone I know (who cans) does it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

i should also add that if you arent doing a lot of jars at one time you can place them in upside down.

Quoting lj.smommy:

Thank you!

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)