Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Getting My Son Ready for Preschool

Posted by   + Show Post

My 4 year old is starting preschool is there anything i need to do before he starts. i am trying to get him to focus on his whole alphbet and stuff he can count to 30 and spell his name but thats it he knows his abcs but for someone who isnt around him like i am they wont understand that he can say his abcs. is there anything i am doing wrong i am trying to teach him to write but hes just not focusing and no he doesnt not have add or adhd or anything like that he is fine.

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Replies (21-24):
DarlaHood
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 3:23 AM

They will figure out what your ds knows and needs to learn.  They are experts.  They do it all the time and understand child development (or should anyway, if it's a decent preschool).  Just reinforce what he is learning.  You also can call your local school district and ask for a print out of what they should know/be able to do before starting Kindergarten, and what they will learn in Kindergarten.  If he is advanced and masters the preparation work, then you can start him on the K level work.

Also there are workbooks at all bookstores, and target/wal-mart that have activities and workbooks by age and grade level, as well as flash-cards for letters, numbers, colors, matching, shapes, etc...  All of these things can be helpful.  But don't stress.  Have fun with him.  Learning should be fun.  You can play games with him and he will learn.  Don't make it full of pressure and stress for you or your son.  Learning is fun :)

Celtic_Dragon
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 3:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I was a paraprofessional at my child's school for two years. I worked with Kindergarten to the third grade. These things are important for the younger ones. There are children who cannot master these basics until the SECOND grade!

I think it is good that your child knows how to spell and write their name. The ABC's will come in time. Right now your little guy has to get use to being away from you and in a school setting where he has a whole new set of rules an a much more structured schedule than he had at home.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Some very good points there...learning how to tie shoes, button/unbutton clothing, wash hands after the restroom, getting on a routine...

Preschool teachers and paraeducators are absolutely used to helping kids with those things, but it makes it a whole lot easier on them if at least some of the 20+ kids they will have are already doing at least some of those things...

CoeyG
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Quoting LindaClement:

If you do all this before he goes, he's going to be very bored when he gets there to 'learn the same thing again.'

It's unusual for 4yos, particularly 4yo boys, to have any interest in that kind of work at all --and earlier is not better.

By the time they're all 16, it is impossible to tell the kids who learned to read at 3 from the ones who didn't learn until they were 11.

I don't know where your kids went to high school but by the time my daughter was 16 she was way ahead most of her classmates in reading.  By the time she started her first year of college not only was she reading but she was reading (and understanding) in French, which when she started college was her Major.  

LindaClement
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I mean 'you can't tell who learned early and who learned late.'

I know a lot of brilliant late-readers, and a handful of ordinary early readers. It's like potty training: some kids manage it before they're 2 and others not until after they're 5. By the time they're 10, you can't tell which is which.

Being ahead of the grade level is pretty easy to do, if you like to read and your natural talents lie in that direction.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting LindaClement:

If you do all this before he goes, he's going to be very bored when he gets there to 'learn the same thing again.'

It's unusual for 4yos, particularly 4yo boys, to have any interest in that kind of work at all --and earlier is not better.

By the time they're all 16, it is impossible to tell the kids who learned to read at 3 from the ones who didn't learn until they were 11.

I don't know where your kids went to high school but by the time my daughter was 16 she was way ahead most of her classmates in reading.  By the time she started her first year of college not only was she reading but she was reading (and understanding) in French, which when she started college was her Major.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN