Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

When Is It Okay?? (CPS Reference)

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM
  • 17 Replies

Okay, so my ex-stepfather has a two year old son, and the son's mother is currently staying with me. This morning, she woke me up around 6 AM telling me she needed me to clean up vomit in her room. (keep in mind I have a hard enough time cleaning up after my own child, let alone someone else's) She then said she needed to take her son the the ER because he had a fever. When she got back, she told me he had stomach flu. When I thought about it, her son has a very bad diet. He eats about 3 fruit roll-ups a day, drinks at least 2 cans of Coke (warm), and the past few days he hasn't had an actual meal. The last time he ate an actual meal was maybe Saturday, and he vomited that day too. That's not all. A few weeks ago he took my disposable razor and shaved his chin, causing a deep cut in his chin. Where was his mother? Sitting at the computer playing a game. He also will walk around in a dirty diaper, and screams when you change it because he has a rash. Today I changed his diaper and he had a rash ALL up his leg. 

So the two questions I was wanting to ask is:

Is this a child neglect case?

If so, would I be in the wrong for filing a CPS report against her for neglecting her child?

EDIT: He is very close to Brook, and I adore this child deeply, so I am just looking out for his well being, that's all.

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
minnie31mouse
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Have u tried talking to her about it?  Is she a first time mother?  depressed that she isn't with the father right now?

Kiwismommy19
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Lazy parenting, yes. Neglect, not really, no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I think that is neglect.  Have you said something to her about his diet?  Honestly I would  probably call.  You could try talking to her first and see if she changes her ways but some people get really defensive when it comes to parenting skills.

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM
I would talk to her first and let her know that you are aware she is having a hard time keeping up with him and see if there is anything you can do to help. If the behavior continues then call cps. I suggest Dr smiths diaper rash cream it works really fast and you can get it at h-e-b cvs walgreens or Walmart. If you are still close to your exstepdad this baby is kinda your brother and I would personally step up and help take care of him (not that your not) jmo. I hope everything works out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM

He drinks soda?  How did he get hold of the razor?  Why wasn't it put away out of his reach?  But yeah this is negledt if she isn't making sure he is eating right.  And yes I would call.  But then I'm just naturally a Bitch.

angie2568
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Yes that is neglect in more than one instance. The eating thing - maybe you should talk to her about making sure he has at least 3 well balanced meals - cherrios/milk, eggs/toast/fruit & water, lunch-meat, veggie/fruit, same for supper. Cherrios and goldfish as snack - these are not expensive and can be a $36.-40 per week budget or less. *I mean my kids do get the "junk" food but they also have balanced meals, they have juice and soda in moderation but they drink alot of water during the day too*

The diaper rash - yes they should be changed after each bm and pee. He should be going through potty training as well.

I would ask her or your step father - why this is going on.

Or just go ahead to CPS and report it. Good Luck.

Redwoods_Mama
by Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Step one- get off cm and go feed that child some real food. I don't care if he's not yours, he is a helpless baby and you are an adult who lives with him. Feed him, bathe him, and have a sit-down with his mother.

If things don't improve you then call CPS.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Neglect fo sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrooklynsMom117
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I feed the child every meal I make. It never stays down.

CoeyG
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Quoting BrooklynsMom117:

I feed the child every meal I make. It never stays down.

Sounds like a digestive problem, what does the doctor say?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)