Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

2yr old doesn't say words...

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM
  • 45 Replies

My neighbors DS just turned 2 years old.. and doesn't form words. He makes sounds, but no actual words. I know he just had his hearing checked and thats perfect. According to BM hes physically on target & healthy.. but... Am I wrong to think somethings not right?

He is an only child with a SAHM. He goes to daycare 2 x a week. 

HE makes no words at all - not even "Mama", "dada" or "NO"

Here's some examples of the sounds he does make:

Food - umm

dog - boooo

rain - raaaa

momma - umum

Daddy - do

water - whaaaa

foot - ttt

eye - daaa

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schleetle
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM
He may have a speech delay, or learning disability. Some people just don't like to talk about that stuff with others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM
He needs an evaluation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM
My son didn't talk until he was almost three. He's 5 now and has an amazing vocabulary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliStars
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I understand delayed speaking, my oldest didn't talk much until he was 2 1/2, but he could & did say simple words. Did your son form simple words - moma, dada, no?

This child doesn't at all. NONE, not even "no". And thats according to his mom, who is a SAHM. I asked her about it tonight, because when he was with me yesterday he didn't. 

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

My son didn't talk until he was almost three. He's 5 now and has an amazing vocabulary.

CoeyG
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

He may be hearing impaired But there are also parents who don't correct their children's habits.  Mom may say "Show me your eye" child will point to eye and say "daaa" and mom will say yes...instead of repeating back, Eye and trying to get the child to say the word.  Also if the child has older siblings it could be all he has to do is point and someone gets it for him.  My mother thought my youngest sister couldn't talk...until the doctor figured out that all my sister had to do was grunt and point and I would get her whatever she pointed at...

ChancesMommy07
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:03 PM
He had four words before three. Mom, dad, bye, and, num (his way of asking for food and drink).

Quoting KelliStars:

I understand delayed speaking, my oldest didn't talk much until he was 2 1/2, but he could & did say simple words. Did your son form simple words - moma, dada, no?

This child doesn't at all. NONE, not even "no". And thats according to his mom, who is a SAHM. I asked her about it tonight, because when he was with me yesterday he didn't. 

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sungazer
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM
My ds will be 2 in november, and he doesn't talk, but he babbles occasionally. I'm worried about it. He's got an evaluation appointment in a couple of weeks. I just want to get a head start since he obviously needs help and I don't know how to get him to talk to me. Dd had no issues verbalizing lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM
My oldest was like that. He is almost six and zero problems now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alissaplusthree
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:19 PM

May be nothing, however.....his sounds do not represent variations or attempts at the real words.

His hearing should be checked, and he should be evaluated for autism if he has any other symptoms.

(sensory issues, no eye contact, no imaginative play, lining up objects, food aversions, etc.)

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM

my next door neighbors kid was like that...he didnt say anything til probably 3ish...and then he was talking in paragraphs...every kid is different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN