Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He died and netflix wont cancel the account

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM
  • 28 Replies
So my fil passed away a couple months ago. He had a netflix streaming account, we don't know the password because he used his tablet for it and my mil never used the tablet or netflix. Anyway, my mil (I was with her helping her close and change things) called netflix and explained that fil passed on and needed to cancel the account. She offered to fax the death certificate. They told us there was no need, well last month it was on her credit card bill, its in both her and fils name (its there only card and was paid off every month so mil doesn't want to close it). The card said that they couldn't file anything because fil had opened the account legitimatly and it had been on the account monthly for nearly a year. They told us to contact netflix again, this time the lady told us to fax a copy of the death certificate which we did while on the phone. Well come to yesterday and netflix still showed up on mils statement. Again the credit card said the same thing, so we called netflix and this moron told us that my fil is the only person by law who can change the account. Ummmm.... the guy is no longer alive, this isn't twilight and last time I checked we were not apart of zombieland..... Im just going insane.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Really absurd! Insane.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trebelcleff
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM
4 moms liked this

Next time you get a representative, immediately ask to speak to a supervisor.  Don't bother being nice; tell them that every time you have to call it's like driving another nail into your heart because it reminds you of your fil's death.  Be quite adament that them basically forcing you to call each month is causing a great deal of stress, and that you want the money for the last two months back as well as the cancelation because the person who's name is on the account is DEAD.  What a bunch of morons.

powow65
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Call BBB or any tv news, they gladly have Netflix stop real quick if it's on the news!
Well maybe.
Gl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelissaMaye
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM
If they don't cancel it, threaten to take them to court. Chances are, they'll cancel.
squeakers2
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM
If your MIL knows the email and the card on the account, she can get the password from Netflix. I would also call and talk to a supervisor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Playitagain
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:29 PM
She doesn't know the email, or passwords. My fil never used a computer before we bought him a tablet for christmas because he spent several months stuck in the hospital. Its odd funny because mil gave us the password for her work email, incase something happens to her because of this situation. Hulu, was very nice and understanding. Mil doesn't even have a computer at home, and the tablet is only used for angry birds now by my mentally disabled sil.

Quoting squeakers2:

If your MIL knows the email and the card on the account, she can get the password from Netflix. I would also call and talk to a supervisor.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Quoting trebelcleff:

Next time you get a representative, immediately ask to speak to a supervisor.  Don't bother being nice; tell them that every time you have to call it's like driving another nail into your heart because it reminds you of your fil's death.  Be quite adament that them basically forcing you to call each month is causing a great deal of stress, and that you want the money for the last two months back as well as the cancelation because the person who's name is on the account is DEAD.  What a bunch of morons.

I agree with this. If the supervisor is no help threaten to contact the BBB about it.

jakesmom323
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Netflix was so easy to cancel for me it's crazy that they won't just close the account. Definitely talk to a supervisor and they need to credit the amount from the last two months too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I don't know who your credit card company is, but mine took a netflix charge off my account immediately when I said I didn't authorize the charge.  I would call the credit card company back and ask for a supervisor.  I would also call netflix back and talk to a supervisor and tell them you are not authorizing any charges and they need to credit you immediately. 

ripemango
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

call the cc and say the cc was lost or stolen. mil will get a new cc w new number. netflix will no longer be able to charge

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)