Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Breast Feeding Question

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM
  • 6 Replies

So I just had my baby three days ago, and tonight when I got done feeding her it looked like my one nipple might be bleeding a little bit, I could be wrong. Does this mean she has a bad latch or something else? Is it normal?

by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
budgie1117
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM
It is normal. What I found to be a total lifesaver was (after allowing the nipple to air dry after nursing) applying lanolin after every single feeding. No need to wipe it off before nursing again. It really helped me!
Does it hurt while baby is nursing? Sometimes it uncomfortable, but it shouldn't hurt. If it hurts, she may not be latching well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Does it hurt while nursing or are your nipple sore? They might not be since it's only been 3 days but what helped save my nipples were these gel pads that you put in the fridge and then put on after your done nursing. HEAVEN!! Also I highly recommend joining the breastfeeding group here on CM if you haven't already. Congrats on your new baby and welcome to the group!!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Definitely check into the various breastfeeding groups.  I used an all natural nipple cream from whole foods that is olive oil based rather than lanolin.  It is normal to have a tiny bit of bleeding since your nipples need to adjust and toughen up for the toll nursing will put on them.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:34 AM

She might have a bad latch, do you have a LC or part of the LLL?? What you could try is the foot ball hold with the flipple technique. It seems to help a lot of moms get that full areola in the mouth thing. 

She does it with the cradle hold in this, but the football hold worked well for me. 

ChewyMomma
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM

If you've never BF before, it could be just that your nipples are still very sensitive and need some time to...toughen up.  lol  Chances are there is a latch problem there.  I BF my son for 22 months, and never really had any problems with him, so when we had our 3rd child, I couldn't understand why my nipples were sore and bleeding...
Turns out she has a lip tie.  

Her lip wasn't able to turn up to get the proper latch, so she was literally CONSUMING my nipple, one layer at a time.  
I kept going...ended up finding out about lip ties long after the fact...but it's easy to correct.  Just slip a finger under that lip and turn it up.  Saved me a lot of tears.  And saved my poor boobies!

I highly suggest you take the time to go to a breastfeeding clinic (if you have one at the local hospital), or get in contact with a lactation consultant at the hospital.  They can be a great help.  

I wish you all the best.

xoxo 

pookienbobosmom
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I bled when nursing all of mine, sometime it hurt really bad :( After a couple weeks it was fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN