Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone know of available group homes in ft lauderdale

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am living with my babys father. and i filed yet again for benefits which i keep getting denied for. this last phone interview said i havent been getting them because i have not gone after him for child support and if i dont i most likely will not get my benefits again.  my set address is at my grandmothers right now. i told my ex hey i have t o do this or i cant get my benefits and he told me not while i live there. i have nowhere else  to go. my family does all they can but no one except my dead beat father can actually give us a place to stay. i want and need my benefits.... I asked the ex today if he was really gonna kick me out if i did the child support and said yes. i have to make a decision. either i lose out on benefits or i get them n get kicked out..... its a lose/lose situation. I barely am eating nor am i eating good enough to keep breastfeeding my baby. i need them. i figure heck if its a lose/lose may as well get my benefits. I just have no idea where we are going to go.... i looked up lotus house and covenant house. lotus house is too far from my family ( i kno i really shouldnt be picky but i need to b close for rides to doctors and such) and the covenant house. i like the covenant house but their site says they are full but i can always call and see.

by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

YOu don't ASK for child support you go down and you FILE for child support it isn't about you it is about the child If you are livig with your ex then you need to get out period, there is no reason for you to be living there by not filing for CS and trying to get your benefitis you are attempting to defraud the Government, that is a Felony.  If your address is at your grandmother's then you need to be living there because again you are attemptint to defraud the government and that is why you are not getting your beneifits and as long as you continue to do so they are not going to give you your benefits.  That means your child get's nothing.  Both you and your ex need to grow up.  This isn't about you ,it's not about your "ex" 

hvguardian
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM

i asked if anyone knows if there is a place we can go. i dnt need a lecture. that part is none ur business.

hvguardian
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM

and actually she gets her health insurance. i just get nada.

bbmkfo03
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

As difficult as it may sound your best bet is to get out of that house and get the child support so you can get benefits. What type of group home were you looking for, like a shelter? If you can get a hold of your local community mental health center a social worker might be able to guide you in the right direction. They'll know about all the resources available to you in your community. Good luck!

CoeyG
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Quoting hvguardian:

i asked if anyone knows if there is a place we can go. i dnt need a lecture. that part is none ur business.

If it's none of my business then what are you doing here?

CoeyG
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Quoting hvguardian:

You are able bodied and can work, you don't need "nada", child support isn't for you, it is for the child.  it is to help you provide a roof over the child's head and food in her tummy.  It is to help provide heat, water, to help provide trasnportation to get her to the doctor, to help provide for her clothing, shoes and toys.  It isn't for you at all.  If you need a place to live go to social services and get put on the list for section 8 or go live with your grandmother where you address is.  You are entitled to nothing.

hvguardian
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:42 AM

where i live is none ur business. u fail yet again to answer the question asked. and whether i can or cannot live there is not ur business. but use ur head. if i am looking for a group home/shelter of some sort obv that isnt an option right now. and your right i could work but i have no one to watch my baby. nor is getting a job so freakin easy. and i kno the child support isnt for me. im not a freakin moron.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting hvguardian:

You are able bodied and can work, you don't need "nada", child support isn't for you, it is for the child.  it is to help you provide a roof over the child's head and food in her tummy.  It is to help provide heat, water, to help provide trasnportation to get her to the doctor, to help provide for her clothing, shoes and toys.  It isn't for you at all.  If you need a place to live go to social services and get put on the list for section 8 or go live with your grandmother where you address is.  You are entitled to nothing.

hvguardian
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM

and im here because i can. im here because i wanted to know if anyone knew anywhere i could go. like the other mom posted. thats what im lookin for. not anything from you so please move on and go annoy someone else

elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I would imagine that homes like you spoke of probably have transportation for critical things such as dr appts or they are on a bus line or have a way of arranging help in that respect. I would go with the house that is a little bit away but has room for you an your baby. It would be your first step and getting on your own two feet. Plus living with your ex must be hard. And I don't blame him for not wanting to pay c's while he provides the roof over his own child's head, that would be like me making my hubby pay me. It would be better to get out, get support, go somewhere that can help you secure employment and child care and all that and those homes you wrote about would be able to do that. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Ok so you are living with your ex who is the baby's father? To me that is odd but i understand there are circumstances that i may not be aware of.   I live with my guy (not an ex) and dshs knew that we were one household so they couldnt go after him for support since he was already doing it.  We got benefits but not as much as i would have if i had lied and said we were living separately in same house.  Call around for shelters or something.  I do not think there is such a thing as group homes for unwed mothers anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured