Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They told me to leave because I was breastfeeding.

Posted by   + Show Post

So I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to do school shopping with my 7 year old son and I brought my 1 month old son with me.

I EBF btw.

So we gathered up his school supplies and then went back to the shoe/sneaker department so I could purchase sneakers for my son for school.

We were the only ones in the sneaker aisle, no one else was there.

I had that nursing privacy blanket, that's what it's called.

For those who don't know what it is: it's a fabric type blanket that has a string on it so you wrap the string around your neck and cover yourself up while the baby is nursing so no one can see.

Well an associate was in the aisle because she was helping a customer.

She saw me and told me that I had to leave because that was inappropriate with that I was doing.

I asked her if i could at least check out first and she said yes.

So we checked out and left. =(

I was so embarrassed.

by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM
3 moms liked this
That was illegal. Never let a place make you leave for breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LandonsMom1114
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM
61 moms liked this
If baby is hungry, they have to eat. They don't understand " sorry honey but I have to check out so noone takes care of our cart and then we will go to the car so you can eat". The baby wasn't eating off the floor,so what makes it so " nasty" to nurse in Walmart.
I agree with other moms, follow up on this because that was wrong and illegal .

Quoting CoeyG:

Frankly if it were me, I would have at least gone out to my car...I wouldn't be breastfeeding in the middle of Wal Mart anytime...ewww that's a nasty place to breastfeed a baby.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
georgeisfun
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 1:17 PM
6 moms liked this

Yes, it was definitely a violation of your rights. Most states have laws that protect a mother's right a nurse her baby in public, modestly or not. And I'm SO grateful you were being modest about it! Go kick some Wal-Mart butt!

motherslove82
by Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this
They can't do that in most states.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 1:19 PM
3 moms liked this
Sue there asses
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katt709
by Katharine on Aug. 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM
4 moms liked this
Totally illegal. Hope you report the incident to the general manager
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyLife1996
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM
3 moms liked this
Call the store manager and report the associate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spotsmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM
3 moms liked this

Illegal for her to tell you to leave, that is. 

You hear about this so much....do places like this not do any kind of training on these issues? You'd think they would at least mention to the associates as part of training to keep rom getting sued. 

CoeyG
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting LandonsMom1114:

If baby is hungry, they have to eat. They don't understand " sorry honey but I have to check out so noone takes care of our cart and then we will go to the car so you can eat". The baby wasn't eating off the floor,so what makes it so " nasty" to nurse in Walmart.
I agree with other moms, follow up on this because that was wrong and illegal .

Quoting CoeyG:

Frankly if it were me, I would have at least gone out to my car...I wouldn't be breastfeeding in the middle of Wal Mart anytime...ewww that's a nasty place to breastfeed a baby.  

My daugher worked at Wal Mart, they are nasty...because it is basically a warehouse there are birds nests, rats ness etc in the place, would you like to be hit with birt shit while you're breastfeeding?  I'd go out to the car thank you.  

aidenmomplus4
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 2:55 PM
7 moms liked this

Everyone is right, NY is one of the state that leads the pack in making it illegal to even suggest that a women should cover up when she is breastfeeding, that associate at Walmart didn't have the right to tell you it was inapproriate, she didn't even have the right to suggest you go somewhere more private, by law you are entilted to breastfeed wheerever you like without anyone saying one word to you. I would go back and speak with the General Manager and if you wanted you can sue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured