Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

They told me to leave because I was breastfeeding.

Posted by   + Show Post

So I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to do school shopping with my 7 year old son and I brought my 1 month old son with me.

I EBF btw.

So we gathered up his school supplies and then went back to the shoe/sneaker department so I could purchase sneakers for my son for school.

We were the only ones in the sneaker aisle, no one else was there.

I had that nursing privacy blanket, that's what it's called.

For those who don't know what it is: it's a fabric type blanket that has a string on it so you wrap the string around your neck and cover yourself up while the baby is nursing so no one can see.

Well an associate was in the aisle because she was helping a customer.

She saw me and told me that I had to leave because that was inappropriate with that I was doing.

I asked her if i could at least check out first and she said yes.

So we checked out and left. =(

I was so embarrassed.

by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Replies (41-50):
prdmama1154
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM
5 moms liked this
I've seen birds in home depot, my old credit union and khols. Despicable ;)

Quoting Mama_Gleich:

Quoting CoeyG:

Lol!

Ok.

Might not want to go to Target, or Von's either... I once saw a bird flying in both of those stores! :)

Damn disgusting places *rolls eyes*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
storkradio193
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with everyone, the associate had no right and needs to be informed.  I would talk to management the next time I stepped in the store.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

How awful that you were made to feel embarrassed. I'd call the company or write.  You were doing nothing even remotely wrong.

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 5:17 PM
4 moms liked this

That is just crazy, could have sworn we where in the year 2012 are we not, Sounds like the sales assoiate was pojecting her own opionion about it on you, but not the stores policy.

I would be sueing the hell out of the Wal mart, one for the sales assoiate telling you you can not, and for making you feel humilated about trying to feed your hungry baby.

Gezze it should not matter where, if a baby is hungry then the baby needs to be fed, not taken out, just to appease people that think babies should only be fed when it is in the privacy of a certain spot, if out and about doing things, like your car, or in a tent while camping, in my experince at this time of year a car is pretty hot to get into at first until the AC kicks in, and the inside of a tent on a 80 to 90 degree day is just craziness to be sitting inside to BF the baby IMO anyways, if they have a cover over them, even if a bird was to shit and hit them, the blanket would be hit not the baby.

LandonsMom1114
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM
8 moms liked this
I'm sorry you were so insecure about NIP. Also, how often do you hear that someone was pooped on or had a mouse/rat under their feet while shopping at Walmart? Lol Never, its very unlikely to happen. You made my night with such a rediculous comment! :). ** She should not have been treated that way period!

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting LandonsMom1114:

Um not sure where you live but the Walmart here is not like that at all lol. Regardless, I nurse wherever I need to...birds flying around would be no different than sitting in a park or nursing while I'm camping...

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting LandonsMom1114:

If baby is hungry, they have to eat. They don't understand " sorry honey but I have to check out so noone takes care of our cart and then we will go to the car so you can eat". The baby wasn't eating off the floor,so what makes it so " nasty" to nurse in Walmart.

I agree with other moms, follow up on this because that was wrong and illegal .

Quoting CoeyG:

Frankly if it were me, I would have at least gone out to my car...I wouldn't be breastfeeding in the middle of Wal Mart anytime...ewww that's a nasty place to breastfeed a baby.  

My daugher worked at Wal Mart, they are nasty...because it is basically a warehouse there are birds nests, rats ness etc in the place, would you like to be hit with birt shit while you're breastfeeding?  I'd go out to the car thank you.  

Take a look up when you go to wal Mart, is thee a regular ceiling?  Do you see vents  and platforms, gerders?  

I wouldn't be nursing outside period.  I'd be in a tent if I were camping or in a vehicle.  Feeding time should be mommie and baby time, or family time.  Not all the patrons of Wal Mart time.  Even though I bottled (formula) fed my daughter when we were out and she got hungry I would find a quite place to do so.  It is great for extra bonding time plus peace and quiet are more conducive to good digestion.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LandonsMom1114
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Really... Whatever

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting LandonsMom1114:

In that case. You probably wouldn't be at Walmart ever. In fear of being hit with bird or rat poo. Get out of here!

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting Mama_Gleich:

Quoting CoeyG:

You know, I have agreed with your statements in most other posts, but for the first time I am disagreeing with you. The baby was not having a 5 star meal in the furniture department. The baby was snuggled up against mom, under a privacy blanket, COMPLETELY PROTECTING THE BABY FROM RODENTS AND BIRD SHIT..... In my opinion you should not have said what you said.

I am appalled at your comments...

So you're appalled which means what?  You obvioulsly are under the ASSumption that you are important enough in my life that I would care what your opinions regarding what I say are.  As I said, I wouldn't myself want to be hit with bird shit or rat shit let alone my baby.  If you don't like what I say you have the choice not to read it.  Your opinion means squat to me.  

I don't usually go to Wal Mart any longer.  Everytime I do I have problems breathing later in the day.  Seeing that I'm already on supplemental oxygen 24/7 and have to take Ventolin, albuterol via nebulizer as well as an inhaled corticoid steroid I don' need any other problems that make it difficult to breathe but thanks for the input 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

LAWSUIT!!!!!!

mamaeagle216
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM
6 moms liked this
I would have dropped the privacy blanket and really gave em a show. She was a lowly associate. Whether what you were doing make her uncomfortable or not, she had absolutely no right to tell you to leave. I would e calling everyone I could think of to report them. LLL, a local news station, the freaking president of Walmart and lastly, my lawyer. In this day and age you should not be condemned for BFing in public.
I did not bf ( for a few weeks maybe but it wasn't for me ) but I respect mothers who and I am not squeamish about anything now. I would rather see you feeding the poor baby then hearing them scream from hunger. Good luck mama, keep your head up and speak up for yourself and your hungry baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting prdmama1154:

I've seen birds in home depot, my old credit union and khols. Despicable ;)

Quoting Mama_Gleich:

Quoting CoeyG:

Lol!

Ok.

Might not want to go to Target, or Von's either... I once saw a bird flying in both of those stores! :)

Damn disgusting places *rolls eyes*

I would expect them in Home Depot and Lowe's because they are warehouses...Kohl's not so much and definitely not in a credit union...

surfgrl60
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Well, people shouldnt BF in public. I dont care if you are covered.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN