Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eczema vs. Cradle cap or what?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM
  • 15 Replies
The flaky red rash started at his temples at about two months with some mild cradle cap flakes. The redness and bumpiness and dryness has now spread to most of his face, then under chin on neck and backs of elbows. It doesn't appear to itch but does scratch open easily. Doc just initially said it could be cradle cap that spread and use aqua for. Could be eczema. Little guy looks so miserable. Really don't want to use steroid creams on it. Any tips, suggestions, relief?
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Sounds more like eczema than cradle cap.  Steroid creams may be the only thing that helps, unless you want the problem to get worse, possibly infected.  The affected areas need to be kept clean and dry, eczema thrives in gray humid areas of the country.  Get him out in the sunlight as much as possible.  When you wash him don't "scrub" his face, just lightly bat it with a moist cloth, do not use lotions, or creams that contain alcohol, using an astringent (witch hazel) also works well.  If I were you I would ask the Pediatrician for a referral to a dermatologist.  

My daughter has suffered with Exzema for almost 27 years, it was horrible  when we lived in New York poor kid kept her arms covered even in the summers, because of the oozing and the way it looked.  We moved to California and it cleared up.  

KimmieHouston
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

To clear up cradle cap you should put some baby oil on his head and then use a new tooth-brush that noone has used (but make sure that it is soft bristles) and take the tooth-brush and go in a circular motion around his head.. What I would do for his face is use some over the counter antibiotics cream.. I wouldnt use any kind of steroid cream!!

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

My kids didn't have either condition, so I don't have advice for you, but wanted to welcome you to the group.

EsmeVincent
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Sounds more like eczema...try oatmeal & baking soda baths but dont bathe him every night either. Aveno makes a nice oatmeal lotion for eczema...if you dont see any improvement after a week then you might need a rx for a cream
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM

can you take a picture.

my kids have KP and eczema, I use Soothe from Rodan + Fields Dermatologists on my KP and theirs and their eczema (and my rosacea) and it's been great.

LindaClement
by Linda on Aug. 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Sounds like he's allergic to something. Might be contact dermatitis, might be something he's eating.

It's probably worth it to figure it out. Bet on scented products, 'baby' formulations for things like shampoo and lotion, and the mostly-likely food: milk protein (caseine)...

Yogabean
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Also, he had a bout with infant acne when he was born. As it progressed and disappeared, it moved like a wave from the top of his head down across his face until it disappeared below his chin. What he has now is doing similar pattern. Forehead is now clearing but still on neck under chin, backs of elbows...hot spots which may getvirritated from infant carseat carrier.
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:14 AM

What baby wash are you using on him? I found that getting rid of anything with Sodium laurel or laureth sulfate in it got rid of my daughters eczema. We started using california baby, or Natures gate. 

Yogabean
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Thanks, I will take a look. My 2 1/2 year old daughter has always had the bumps on the back of her upper arms, but no where else. Looks like dry winter itch skin...except it doesn't itch and lotion doesn't help.
MaNdAcDPT
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM
It sounds like bad case of eczema .. Both my kids have eczema and we use dye free perfume free everything, soaps,( dove sensitive skin, or cetaphil) lotions ( eucerin I hate aqua phor it's to greasy cetaphil has a lotion too ) , detergent.( tide ) and I used cortisone when their skin would get raw.. They have a black labeled medicine not recommended for babies but it worked on my when they were toddlers as a last resort. (elidel) and when you bathe use just Luke warm water also I know it's messy but InThe chin area you can use Vaseline it creates a barrier form drool and sweat and keeps it from drying out ... Sorry your going through this and hope it gets better fast
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured