Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What do you think of the teacher making a kindergartner turn his shirt inside out?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM
  • 4 Replies

Kindergartner's Tee Banned By School Because It Supports Wrong Sports Team

Posted by Deborah Cruz

Michigan T-ShirtCooper Barton, a kindergartner, wore his favorite University of Michigan shirt to his new school, Wilson Elementary in Oklahoma City. He was promptly told that the Michigan shirt violated the Oklahoma City Public Schools dress code and was asked to turn the shirt inside out for the remainder of the day. According to the dress code, students are only allowed to wear Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, or apparel from another Oklahoma state school. Everything else is a violation of the dress code and will not be tolerated.

Okay, so I am not a big fan of University of Michigan football either, mostly because we played them in the Big Ten and those bitches always seemed to beat us, but that’s no reason to go all psycho on a poor unsuspecting kindergartner.

Let me just say this now, teachers, if there is ever a problem with a kindergartner's choice of clothing, don’t humiliate the child. Send a note home to the parents for Pete’s sake. Do you think that child dressed himself? Do you think he had any choice in the matter? Do you think a 5-year-old can understand the politics of a dress code and do anything about it? No, so contact the parent. They are the ones responsible. Don’t make the kid the example of "what not to wear in kindergarten" in front of his peers. Why humiliate the kid?

Way to make little Cooper hate kindergarten on the first week. First he’s pushed out of the nest and forced to sever the apron strings from his mama and now you humiliate him over a t-shirt?

The school says the dress code was put into place in 2005 to help eliminate gangs and gang apparel from the school. I’m pretty sure that little Cooper Barton is in no danger of gang banging, so can we please use some common sense when doling out the punishments for outdated dress codes? By the way, I had no idea that Oklahoma City had such a rampant gang problem. If I were Cooper’s parents, I’d consider moving someplace safer like Detroit.

What do you think of the teacher making a kindergartner turn his shirt inside out?

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
rockabillybetty
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM
I dont like it one bit. They probably made him feel bad and wrong for liking the shirt. Id be furious atthe humiliation. GO BLUE!! XD Michigan Fan !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie2568
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I think the child should have been left alone, a child of any school age Kindg-HS senior. I think that the parent needed to be notified immediately before any action was taken against the child. Teachers/schools need to think of their actions-how it may effect a child mentally/emotionally and their families before "jumping" the gun on anything! Then I think a note by the teacher signed and dated with the issue needed to be sent to office signed by administrator/principal then gone home to parent.

bcauseimthemom
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I think the particular dress code rule is ignorant.  This child actually has great taste in colleges.... LOL.....  Seriously, it is a college tshirt, who cares if it isn't from a specific university that the school district approves of.... not like it is a shirt that is condoning violence or is sex based....they need to check the priorities.

CoeyG
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I would be visiting the school superinent's office.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN