Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 4year old is suddenly scared of EV-REE-THING...Help!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM
  • 7 Replies
I don't know what happened but my 4 year old is suddenly afraid of EVERYTHING & I mean EVERYTHING!! And it all seems to be out of nowhere. Suddenly she can't go to another room without me. She's afraid of our dogs now all of a sudden, and has never been scared of them. I really don't know what's going on or why but I am becoming exhausted by all of this as shes also been waking up from her sleep each night in the middle of the night & coming to me. I don't know where this fear is coming from.

Can anyone help me?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommylove818
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Aww girl I feel you,my dd is 3 and she would do it a lot before when she would spend the night at my sisters and apparently my nieces would be watching scary stuff while she would be there. She would have to have doors open at night a night,light she was scared of the dark and,it sucked she's gotten over it and she does not go over anymore. It could be a phase or something she's watched goodluck be patient it happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Kind of in the same boat. Our 5 year old is afraid to go to any other part of the house without one of us. Just trying to get him to go to the bathroom on his own, ugh. It's been happening for a few weeks now, of course, I know it's mostly because he decided he wanted to watch "Ghost Adventures" with DH. *sigh*

newmomof1won
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:25 AM
Ugh! Well I don't know what my dd watched because we don't watch anything scary like that & this has been happening for a while now.

My advise to anyone that's got a almost two year old..don't let them watch any television. Bc it's a hard habit to break! Get educational videos and find activities that you can do outside. Something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tetraherb2037
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:27 AM
bump

CoeyG
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:49 AM

It is a phase they all or most go through.  It is a type of seperation anxiety.  She is getting older, more independent and it's scaryWhen you embark on a new phase of your life are't you a bit frightened?  Just reassure her that yes you are there and give her a bit more of your time.  

newmomof1won
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM
I think that you are on to something because all of this seems to have started when I am spending more time with our 8month old baby.

Quoting CoeyG:

It is a phase they all or most go through.  It is a type of seperation anxiety.  She is getting older, more independent and it's scaryWhen you embark on a new phase of your life are't you a bit frightened?  Just reassure her that yes you are there and give her a bit more of your time.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmiJanell
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I guess it would depend on if you think she is REALLY scared or if she's just playing (maybe for extra attention or something)

My son is 4 as well... and there have been times that he's all of a sudden afraid of the weirdest things....   we talk about it first, why he's all of a sudden afraid, what he thinks will happen... things like that.  Usually just talking about it helps because it might be related to something he had played with his friends or something he saw on TV.... other times it's just an overactive imagination. 

He was afraid of this little tree we had in our house for a while... a TREE!? He thought it was going to get him... (weird)

We sometimes play up the "super powers" that all parents have....  that it's IMPOSSIBLE for monsters to come in our house because mommy and daddy won't allow it.... really with anything imaginative that he's afraid of we just trump it with a parenting super power that makes it safe and he doesn't have to worry.

If it's something real... like lately he's had a lot of questions about death/dying... then we just talk about it and reassure him everything will be fine.

And then, sometimes he's just playing... he's not REALLY afraid, but acting like he is. And we just go tell him to go do whatever it is he's trying to get out of (because it's usually related to not wanting to pick up toys or something)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured